Author Topic: Russian coins  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Russian coins
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 08:04:08 PM »
This series of coins mark the waining years of the Russian Empire. The first is a Coronation Ruble for Tsar: Alexander Romanov III dated 1883.  The coin shows Alexander's profile with Cyrillic legend giving his title, date and location of coronation (Moscow) on the obverse side. The reverse shows Alexander crown and orb resting on a decorative cushion with the denomination in Cyrillic at the top. It was during Alexander III's reign that Vladimir Lenin's brother (also named Alexander) was tried and hanged for participating in bomb plot to kill the tsar. It was this event that radicalized Lenin in his revolutionary pursuit. The second is a Coronation Ruble for Tsar: Nikolai Romanov II dated 1896. The obverse shows Nikolai' profile with Cyrillic legend giving Nikolai's title, date and location of coronation (Moscow).  The reverse shows Nikolai II's crown and orb along with scepter, sword and ribbon with the denomination in Cyrillic at the top. Nikolai reigned as the last tsar of the Russian Empire, and was the catalyst that brought about the revolution of 1917.  Between the defeat suffered during the Russo-Japanese war in 1904, and Nikolai's aggressive stance during the first revolution in 1905, was the powder keg that lead to his undoing in the second revolution twelve years later.  The third is a jubilee Ruble marking the 300th Anniversary of the Romanov dynasty dated 1913.  The obverse shows the lesser imperial arms with the denomination written in Cyrillic and the dates 1613-1913. The reverse shows both the first tsar, Mikail Fyodorovich Romanov I (1613-1645) and Nikolai II  unbeknownst at the time was the last of Romanov line. The forth is a 15 Kopek coin dated 1917. This was the last imperial issue struck before the revolution and only had only four denominations 5,10,15 and 20 kopek coins the 5 kopek coin being the rarest. Nikolai II and his family were assassinated the following year on July 17, 1918 by a Soviet regiment at Yekaterinburg (later Sverdlovsk) in the Urals.

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~Coronation Ruble 1883

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~Coronation Ruble 1896

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~1 Ruble 1913

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~15 Kopek 1917
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:46:29 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 10:20:13 AM »
That was a beautiful explanation of the Romanov period.

I have been looking for the 300th Anniversary of the Romanov dynasty dated 1913.
They are quite expensive in a high grade and last Summer they were going for
big dollars on eBay. A few were toned, like I like them and was outbid on
each and every one.

Thanks Zantetsuken for the images and explanations !

Stefanie

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »
Here is my latest aquisition that I picked up for $80. This is a 3 Ruble coin (Type 2) from Armavir 1918. These are very hard to find in any denomination or any grade.

ARMAVIR (MUNICIPAL)~3 Ruble <Type 2> 1918
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:16:59 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »
Is there a Russian coin like this but made in 1770?
If so is it a 5 or 10 Kopek?    Or both?

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »

Hi Stefanie. I checked my Rylov/Sobolin catalog, and it showed the following details. There a 10 Kopek coin that was struck for one year only in 1796 and the obverse shows Catherine II intials with a crown similar to the seal on the Siberian coins on the obverse. The reverse showed the number '10' and denomination in Cyrillic text and the date.  I don't know the dimensions of this specimen.  The Siberian 10 Kopek is 46 mm in diameter and 5 mm thick and was struck in 1764 and 1766-1781.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:33:42 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »

Hi Stefanie. I checked my Rylov/Sobolin catalog, and it showed the following details. There a 10 Kopek coin that was struck for one year only in 1796 and the obverse shows Catherine II intials with a crown similar to the seal on the Siberian coins on the obverse. The reverse showed the number '10' and denomination in Cyrillic text and the date.  I don't know the dimensions of this specimen.  The Siberian 10 Kopek is 46 mm in diameter and 5 mm thick and was struck in 1764 and 1766-1781.

Thanks, I saw a  Kopek exactly like this one but different year (1770)
But not as nice as your example and he wanted $350 which seamed high to me.
It was fine at best. Do you feel that his asking price of $350 was high?
Maybe 1770 has a smaller mintage?

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 08:46:39 PM »
[/quote]

I'm not sure. I'd would have to see the coin in order to know. You have to be careful, because there are alot of fakes and forgeries of Russian coins especially the higher denomination pieces. I'm not saying that the coin that your talking about is fake, but you need to be careful none the less. The silver Ruble coins from the 18th century are among the most notorious for being counterfeited. But there are other coins as well, Armavir, Siberia etc.. In either case, Russian coins had skyrocketed in price since I started collecting them, but the prices had moderated a little due to the market. I hope this helped a little.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:48:26 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »

I'm not sure. I'd would have to see the coin in order to know. You have to be careful, because there are alot of fakes and forgeries of Russian coins especially the higher denomination pieces. I'm not saying that the coin that your talking about is fake, but you need to be careful none the less. The silver Ruble coins from the 18th century are among the most notorious for being counterfeited. But there are other coins as well, Armavir, Siberia etc.. In either case, Russian coins had skyrocketed in price since I started collecting them, but the prices had moderated a little due to the market. I hope this helped a little.
[/quote]

I think I will wait until one come up at auction and is on plastic ;)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 12:49:41 AM »
Here's a nice piece that I picked up last year. This is a 5 Gold Ruble coin from the RUSSIAN EMPIRE 1898. It was issued two years into Tsar: Nikolai II's reign.

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~5 Ruble 1898
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:53:26 AM by Zantetsuken »