Here's a possibly unique Hall's Toucan in Gem PL : )

Back
  • Here's a possibly unique Hall's Toucan in Gem PL : )   by Larry on 23 Oct, 2009 07:42

• This is one of my prized Conder Token halfpennies, a Middlesex DH 319, possibly unique because of its unlisted edge variety.

I'm calling it DH 319a(b) RRR, Possibly Unique. 

Its edge reads:  PAYABLE IN DUBLIN OR LONDON   • + • + •

Grade is Gem, Prooflike, or if you will, MS-65 PL.

I discovered its unique edge lettering/design after purchase.

• Reply #1   by walmann on 23 Oct, 2009 10:54
  • Now that is superb.

Is that a finning error on the edge? If so never saw a finning error on a coin of that time period.
  • Reply #2   by Larry on 23 Oct, 2009 13:04
  • Hi, Walmann...

I spoke today with Alan Davisson and Bill McKivor.  I asked Bill about the error you mention and he told me
    he has never heard the term 'finning error' applied to Conder Tokens at all.  : )

Alan Davisson told me that in all probabitlity, since tokens' edges were lettered in separate operations from striking,
    and often in different facilites from the 'manufactory,' that a flan intended for another token with similar edge lettering
    was mistakenly mixed in with flans bearing proper lettering and designs.  Then, the flan was struck with DH319 obverse and reverse dies.

• Reply #3   by walmann on 23 Oct, 2009 13:26
  • Was surprising to see the edge like that, it exhibits a feature similar to finning errors, but I did not believe the striking processes used back then would result in such an error. Hence my surprise to see that "look".

Thanks for looking into my question and so quickly determining how that occur ed.
  • Reply #4   by Larry on 23 Oct, 2009 13:46
  • Actaully, Bill said nobody knows how the flattened error occurred which you noticed on the obverse, near the edge from 10 to 12 o'clock.
  • Reply #5   by walmann on 23 Oct, 2009 15:28
  • Misunderstood your reply, I took it that the error resulted due to the mixing of two types of flans.
  • Reply #6   by coinsarefun on 28 Oct, 2009 21:37
  • Very cool being unique and I absolutely love the Toucan :Beatingheart;

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page:
You're not logged in