Author Topic: Conder Token • Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow DH 9, River God  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Conder Token • Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow DH 9, River God
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:50:46 AM »

Grading coins and tokens is important, for small differences in grade/condition can mean HUGE differences in value. This is an excellent example of its common type and cost less than $100. I consider it a bargain. I jumped at the chance when I ran across this one for six bits plus shipping.

This Conder Token has prooflike fields today. I'd conservatively estimate its grade at MS-58 PL or MS-60 RB PL. It is possible that the token never actually circulated. If it did circulate, it was minimally. If deemed by top tier third party grading experts to have circulated, I'd imagine it would receive a grade of MS-60 PL, but of course I could be wrong and it might then get a grade of MS-61, MS-62 or even MS-63.  I imagine they would also note the PL.  If graded MS-63 by NGC, its value would be perhaps twice what I paid. I think it might have a shot at MS-63 RB PL PQ.  But admittedly, I am now prejudiced.  :Beatingheart;

If decide to send this piece for grading and slabbing, I'll submit it to NGC. But I don't like slabs much, except for the rarest and most delicate coins. This was not a token in England in the 18th Century; it was considered a coin, though not produced by the government. King George III was not minting any copper coinage. He thought copper beneath him. LOL

I don't know much about Scotland, or the River Clyde.

Obverse: River God of the River "Clyde"
Reverse: Britannia Seated
Edge Reads: PAYABLE IN LONDON <<<<<<<<<<<< < (engrailed)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:34:58 AM by Larry »

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Conder Token • Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow DH 9, River God Obverse
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:38:27 AM »

I thought I'd try to do better, so took more photos of the obverse of this Conder Token.

I played around with the lighting and must say, I like this image.

Framed in ImageFramer (only for late-model Macs with Intel Core Duo processor).

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Addenda Re: Lanarkshire, Glasgow DH 9, River God Obverse
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:32:08 AM »
Issuing Merchant:  Gilbert Shearer and Co.  --  Nothing is known of Gilbert Shearer and Co.
Die Sinker:  Dröz
Maker: Matthew Boulton
Number struck (for total of River God strikes): Several tons
Some issues were counterfeited
There were many mules

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:40:29 AM by Larry »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Conder Token • Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow DH 9, River God
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:22:38 AM »
Hey Larry, that is both a very interesting piece and a great looking Conder.
Love the history and background on it!

Thanks for posting it.

Stefanie