Author Topic: The First Conder Tokens • 1787 Druid Tokens of the Parys Mining Company  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0

In 1787, the first Conder Tokens were produced for Lord Uxbridge, owner of the Parys Mining Company on Anglesey Island in North Wales. Strip mining had yielded a great deal of ore and profit, enabling the owners to then sink deep shafts and tunnels, from which water could be pumped out using a massive steam engine.

His workers found that the one ounce, one penny tokens were widely accepted because of their popular design, and nobody doubted the purity of the copper produced from the vast high grade deposits of ore in those famous mines. The first Conder Tokens were produced by maker Thomas WIlliams in Holyhead, then later at a mint erected by the Parys Mining Company; that second facility was located in Birmingham, England.

In 1787, the first Conder Tokens were produced for Lord Uxbridge, owner of the Parys Mining Company on Anglesey Island in North Wales. Strip mining had yielded a great deal of ore and profit, enabling the owners to then sink deep shafts and tunnels, from which water could be pumped out using a massive steam engine.

His workers found that the one ounce, one penny tokens were widely accepted because of their popular new design, and nobody doubted the purity of the copper produced from the vast high grade deposits of ore in those famous mines. All of those tokens were produced at a mint erected by Parys Mining Company; that facility was located in Birmingham, England.

These tokens bear a promise to pay, also important in their gaining wide acceptance at the time.

Its lettered edge reads... ON DEMAND AT LONDON LIVERPOOL OR ANGLESEY • X •

Few if any tokens were ever returned for redemption, for as the value of copper was rising rapidly, all of these tokens were worth more than the value they represented. 250 tons of the one penny tokens were produced in a few years. Many were likely melted, especially if damaged. But coin collectors put many aside, and perhaps this was one of them.

Those first tokens led the way for thousands of varieties of Conder Tokens which would be produced in the following nine years, primarily for merchants. The British government had not produced copper coinage for about 30 years, and would not until 1797, when Matthew Boulton switched from production of Conder Tokens to official government coinage at his famous Soho Mint near Birmingham. That government contract fulfilled a desire Boulton had held for many years.

I have searched for three years for an outstanding token from that first year of issue, 1787. This token remains uncirculated. I am estimating its grade at MS-64 RB or so.

NOTE: This variety was not the first struck as its D&H number indicates, but it is from that first year of Conder Tokens.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:09:14 PM by Larry »

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: The First Conder Tokens • 1787 Druid Tokens of the Parys Mining Company
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
Larry,
  That is a very nice coin you have got there.

We see these Anglesey traders' currency tokens turn up a lot over here in New Zealand in the bottom grades.

The British Isles 18th. Century traders' currency token series actually began in the 1750's.

Aidan.

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:33:10 PM »
Aidan...

Thanks for your input.

While there were many 'trader's currency' tokens struck before and after the 10-year period of Conder Token production which lasted from 1787-1796, those are not Conder tokens.  Because they are not Conder Tokens, I doubt that they have increased tenfold in value in the past 10 years, like Conders have.  Dalton and Hamer covers Conder Tokens only.  I am interested in  tokens from three major eras: Conders, Hard Times Tokens, and Civil War Tokens, be they store cards or patriotic tokens.

Because the three types of tokens I collect are from specific eras, there is market in each which may exceed those of tokens produced at other times.  While popular to some collectors, they do not interest me at this time.  Since my time will or may be shortlived, I doubt that I will venture into other, perhaps similar areas of exonumia.  And I do not want to spend the remainder of my time arguing about our individual philosophies.  But Conder Tokens were the lifeblood of the Industrial Revolution in Britain.  Folks could no longer trade a pig for a blanket; in cities and towns, they needed the small change, and the mines provided the copper, and King George III approved of privately minted tokens -- call them 'coins' if you will.  To me, they are tokens and exonumia.

I recently purchased one piece that was previously owned by Dr. Richard G. Doty, curator of money exhibits at the Smithsonian. In 1998 he paid $7.00 for the token.  In 2009, I paid $75 for the same token.  Its provenance was included inside the envelope on a circular tag, and on the 2x2 envelope in came in.

I do not hold other tokens in contempt; it's just that I have my preferences for the three eras I've mentioned.  Occasionally I have purchased tokens from outside those three eras, they do not hold my attention like Conders, HTT's or CWT's.

I am not so interested in whether a token or medal was a 'merchant token' or 'trader's currency,' but whether its design and history hold meaning for me.   As a result, our nomenclature differs. Some of our differences seem to be related to particular books you may have studied, or the way you perceive types of coins and currency, and that is fine.  But please, don't expect all folks to use your terminology, your books, or your opinions as the last word on everything in the world.  It's still a big world in some ways.  : )

In fact, I don't consider coins, tokens or medals to be currency.   To me, 'currency' consists strictly of notes, also known as 'bills.' whether paper or polymer.  : )

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:52:01 PM by Larry »
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
Larry,
  Being a British Commonwealth numismatist,we never hear of the late 18th. Century traders' currency tokens of the British Isles being referred to as 'Conders',which is obviously an American term,not a British term at all.

A coin & a traders' currency token is part of the numismatic history of the world,as they are struck for use as money or declared legal tender,so therefore,they are also classed as being currency,just like banknotes are.

As for the 17th. Century traders' currency tokens of the British Isles goes,we see very few of them turning up over here in New Zealand.I've got a few of those ones myself,as they served the same purpose as the 18th. & 19th. Century traders' currency token issues did - filling a gap caused by severe coin shortages.That is why I class them as being coins.

Aidan.