Author Topic: Liberian Cent  (Read 1233 times)

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Liberian Cent
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »
Having lived in Sierra Leone for a few years coins from both the host country and Liberia have been of interest to me. Both countries have strong historical ties to the US (Sierra Leone, and the captial Freetown, being a result of the British having relocated slaves that had fought for the crown during the American Revolution and hence freed byt the British).

Liberia was just a couple miles from my station just across the Mano river. This is the first Liberia coin of this era I have obtained. Actually is on its way, this being the seller's photo.

Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Liberian Cent
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »
Walmann,
  That's a very nice Liberian 1c. coin you are getting.

Liberia uses both the Liberian Dollar (which seldomly turns up,& has been issued again in recent years) & American Dollars.

As for Sierra Leonean coins,it is the 1964 1/2c. & 1 Cent coins that always turn up.I've always found Sierra Leone's circulation coinage elusive,especially the coins from the 10 Leones right up to the 500 Leones that have been issued since 1996.

Sierra Leonean banknotes & coins are of interest to me anyway,being a British Commonwealth collector.Sierra Leone did issue British Postal Orders as well,but they also elude me as well.

Aidan.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:44:41 PM »
Oh, so your the one that I lost this to!
Well........at least its going to a good home ;D

I really love this design :Beatingheart;

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:44:35 AM »
Very nice coin. I like the rev. design.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 06:57:09 PM »
Very nice coin 'walmann', and in such high grade to boot. The early Liberian coins are very interesting. If you don't mind me posting an image on your thread, here is a slightly earlier specimen from the same area. This 1 Cent (Large Ship Variety) token from Liberia dated 1833. This was issued by the 'American Colonization Society'.

~Daniel.

LIBERIA~1 Cent 1833

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
Very nice coin 'walmann', and in such high grade to boot. The early Liberian coins are very interesting. If you don't mind me posting an image on your thread, here is a slightly earlier specimen from the same area. This 1 Cent (Large Ship Variety) token from Liberia dated 1833. This was issued by the 'American Colonization Society'.

~Daniel.

LIBERIA~1 Cent 1833

This is another one I was looking at, it makes a great set :)