Author Topic: Warwickshire DH 393a • John Wilkinson/Forge and Tilt Hammer  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Warwickshire DH 393a • John Wilkinson/Forge and Tilt Hammer
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »
Warwickshire DH 393a • John Wilkinson/Forge and Tilt Hammer, struck by Matthew R. Boulton at Soho Mint

This 1793 Conder token is a bronzed proof in Gem Uncirculated condition.  I'd estimate its grade at Proof-63 or so. This is a great example of this series, and Boulton was widely known to be the finest maker of tokens in England.  : )

This is a great example of this series.  If one will study it closely, they'll have an idea of all that was on these tokens originally.  That will help if seeking an example of this series in any grade.

As a matter of fact, I suggest to coin collectors that they study the best examples they can find.  Then they'll have a much better idea of just what detail is missing on coins or tokens of lesser grade.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:18:50 AM by Larry »

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Warwickshire DH 393a • John Wilkinson/Drop Forge.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:12 PM »
Larry,
  I've got one of the currency ones of this design type.

Well done on getting the Proof one.

Aidan.

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Warwickshire DH 393a • John Wilkinson/Drop Forge
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 01:29:18 AM »
Thanks, Aidan.  : )

I like the early Conder issues but have only recently acquired my first few.  Most of my Conder tokens are of later years, like 1792 -1796, and a few Pidcock tokens that may have been struck even later.  I wanted to have some issues from the early years, for Parys Mines, for Wilkinson,  for Boulton, for James Conder and Thomas Spence.  I suppose Skidmore is next on my list, but Boulton is presently my 'primary' interest.

I'm sure as I learn more of Thomas Williams, I'll obtain some of his work.  I am very interested in learning more and more about Conder token die sinkers and makers.  I often use Google Earth to visit the sites from whence the tokens originated, like the Iron Bridge at Coalbrook Dale, the Hay Inclined Plane, Birmingham, Soho, Anglesey and the mines, etc.  It is great fun and helps me understand and remember some of the interesting history.  Also, I have begun to study the progression of British rulers.  I am about halfway through that, and although I cannot always recall all of the names and dates, I am slowly learning more about them.

I am presently spread a bit thin because I have begun to read biographies of James Watt and Matthew Boulton, and have read the Introduction of my new copy of The Soho Mint & the Industrialization of Money by Dr. Richard G. Doty, Curator of Numismatics at the Smithsonian.  Reading goes slowly because I seem to stop at every turn and perform internet research to learn more about terms and all sorts of things as I go.  But when I finish, I know a bit more than some readers, though I certainly do not have a photographic memory these days, and have forgotten more than I will ever learn.

Since I am not in the pink of health anymore and do not get out much, I try to concentrate on applying myself to token collecting and photography, and of posting to various sites here and there.

I like this site and believe it has tremendous potential.  OUr hostess, Stefanie, is doing a great job here, a really great job!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:38:56 AM by Larry »
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Warwickshire DH 393a • John Wilkinson/Drop Forge.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 01:37:50 AM »
Larry,
  Have you seen this?; http://www.sohomint.info .

That mentions about the coins & currency tokens that Matthew Boulton's Soho Mint struck.

Aidan.

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Warwickshire DH 393a • John Wilkinson/Drop Forge
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:41:17 AM »
As a matter of fact I have seen it, bookmarked it, and refer to it often, though am not finished covering all that is included there.  Thanks, Aidan.  I am always discovering new sites, and wish I were the type of person who finishes absorbing all that is available on a site before turning to another interesting endeavor, but I am not.    I go where my nose leads me as some would say, and am quite impulsive and easily distracted. : )

It reminds me of the story about a man who came into the room.  His wife said she thought he was surfing the internet.  He said he had been, but that he had reached the end of it.  LOL

I will never reach the end in this life, but do visit many pages of personal interest.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:49:28 AM by Larry »

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:20:22 AM by Larry »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Warwickshire DH 393a • John Wilkinson/Forge and Tilt Hammer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 12:14:36 PM »
Larry, that one is stunning :Beatingheart;