Author Topic: Middlesex 831a Conder token rare off metal  (Read 2694 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Middlesex 831a Conder token rare off metal
« on: November 27, 2009, 10:17:36 PM »
I have to get better images of this one but was told this is quite rare for a off metal 831

I wonder exactly how rare it is :HMMMMM;

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:54:47 PM by coinsarefun »

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Middlesex 831a Conder token rare off metal
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »
It looks to me as though it was coated similar to 'silvering' or plated, possibiy.

Most of my experience with such coatings has been with CWT's, but I have a silvered quattrini, a brightly coppered Prince of Wales Conder Token and a few others.

Perhaps it is ormolo, a popular contrivance of the day.
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Middlesex 831a Conder token rare off metal - NOT!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 03:39:58 AM »
Stefanie,
  That one has been gilded,unfortunately.

It is also unfortunate that this one was gilded many years after these were officially pulled from circulation.

Aidan.

Offline Conderluva

• Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:30:41 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but this doesn't look gilded to me.  It looks like brass.  Bill M had one such piece for sale last year.  I think he called it EF with marked up surfaces.  It is possible that yours and the one BM had last year are the same.  Then again, I feel like I have seen this piece somewhere before and I never saw the example Bill had so perhaps it is another specimen.

As for the rarity.  Likely RR, maybe better. 

837 and 838 are usually the ones found in off-metals.  837 being most common in brass, less in copper, least in silver.  838 most common in copper and less common in brass (DH also says both are gilded but I've never seen one.)  But 831 in off-metal is more unusual. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:31:48 AM by Conderluva »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:38:01 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but this doesn't look gilded to me.  It looks like brass.  Bill M had one such piece for sale last year.  I think he called it EF with marked up surfaces.  It is possible that yours and the one BM had last year are the same.  Then again, I feel like I have seen this piece somewhere before and I never saw the example Bill had so perhaps it is another specimen.

As for the rarity.  Likely RR, maybe better. 

837 and 838 are usually the ones found in off-metals.  837 being most common in brass, less in copper, least in silver.  838 most common in copper and less common in brass (DH also says both are gilded but I've never seen one.)  But 831 in off-metal is more unusual.

Yes, you are right, it is an 831 in brass. Its not guilded.
I did buy it from a member from CU. he used to be a grader there. You may know him :)
I know this is brass and was just wondering the if its RR or RRR?

Thanks, Stefanie

btw......the spot is from cleaning, it used to be a dark spot and someone tried cleaning it (not me)
but, because they are so rare I thought it would be a great example
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:39:41 AM by coinsarefun »

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:33:41 AM »
My throat hurts just looking at this. I've never gotten into these pieces, but the more I see them, the more I'm getting interested.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
My throat hurts just looking at this. I've never gotten into these pieces, but the more I see them, the more I'm getting interested.

:LOL;

I want to get all the hangman pieces together and do a write
up on Thomas Pain and the rights of man

Offline Conderluva

• Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 10:56:53 AM »
RR v. RRR is a tough call...A pure guess, maybe a dozen.  Of course this is just a guess based only on feeling.  At a dozen I think that most would call it RRR.  However, there could easily be more, maybe held up in various collections - or - there could be fewer and that's why we don't see them often. 

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Tough to say when its coating was applied.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »
I'm not sure that anybody can now determine when its coating was applied, except that it was likely not at time of striking, but I don't know that for sure.  : )
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:41:28 PM by Larry »
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 09:56:58 PM »
The feeling the obverse conveys is really enhanced due to the smaller tower/building in the background. The play between the foreground's gallows image and that smaller structure really enhances the emptiness and finality of death.

Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009