Author Topic: 1934 Fribourg shooter  (Read 2294 times)

Offline RHM22

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
1934 Fribourg shooter
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:26:28 AM »
Here's my newest addition, a 1934 Fribourg! Sorry about the bad pictures.

Offline Wil2008

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: 1934 Fribourg shooter
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »
Hi.

Very nice and interesting coin!!!   :signcool;

Offline RHM22

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »
Thanks, Wil! This is my favorite shooter so far.

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:05:22 PM »
I actually picked up one the other day on ebay, for what I found to be a reasonable price. I agree the design is sweet.

Offline RHM22

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:32:30 PM »
I saw that listing. Do you have the coin in hand yet? It might be the pictures, but the color is really odd on that one. That's not to say that it's not original, it's just a very unusual tone.

Offline RHM22

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 08:35:03 PM »
By the way, my Fribourg was about $30 over the average price, so I probably overpaid, but I really liked the PL surfaces. Does anyone know why a lot of Fribourgs are PL, but not Lucernes?

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:55:33 PM »
RHM - for a newbie at collecting these shooters you are quite opinionated and critical whether in posting or in personal messages that you send. Some humility never hurts especially when dealing with veterans in collecting these on the forum, covering 19th and 20th century materials (Talers and Medals).

This forum is intended to learn from each other rather than spend time comparing/critiquing your purchase to others. If you are happy with your coin, that is what counts. You dont a need to validate your purchase by constantly comparing or diminishing others. By doing so, you are making it easy for us to simply stop posting our collections.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 12:49:55 AM »
I love the obverse on this one.......congratulations on a beautiful coin :ThumbsUp;

Offline RHM22

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »
Zohar - yes, you've said that already. I didn't know where it was coming from then and I don't know now. If you think I'm being "opinionated", check all the posts on CoinTalk and every other forum where people say they paid over the average price for a nicely toned coin. In fact, you don't know me, yet you're making accusations about my collection. I suppose I could call you opinionated? If you don't like what I collect, then don't look at it. I ignored you at first because I didn't want to argue with you, but this time you made your opinion of me known in a public place. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 08:11:50 AM »
I did track your posts and did hear the same from other collectors. I would not comment/participate if I did not take interest in the subject matter, which I collect as well. I never said I did not like you what you collect, which I actually do. All I am saying is that that your critical comments take away the "fun" from the forum. I suggest reading through your prior posts and sensing the vibe. Even on this thread in response to my purchase:

"I saw that listing. Do you have the coin in hand yet? It might be the pictures, but the color is really odd on that one. "

and in response to my other posting you write -

"I really could care less if my collection is "high end" or not, as long as I like it. That's why I don't (and will never) take part in a registry set. I have no interest in feeding the beast that has been destroying the hobby from within."

I see many postings of coins that I like less, yet I am not sure the purpose of the forum is to put down other collectors. My Taler registry set just won "Best World Set of 2009" by NGC and my Swiss Shooting Medal and Taler set is not to shabby as well by other collectors standards, so I guess that I do have an eye for quality, yet do not critique others who may not.

If you don't like the registry or slabs and prefer raw, that is completely fine, yet I believe that out of respect for other's approach to collecting it makes better practice to not be as critical but rather supportive.

Let's end it at that as I believe we all have better things to do.