Author Topic: Conder Token, Middlesex, Spence DH 893 • Bronzed UNC  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Conder Token, Middlesex, Spence DH 893 • Bronzed UNC
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »

Here's a bronzed UNC issued by Thomas Spence in 1796. His coin shop and bookstore was located in Little Turnstile Street in London. Rather than bearing political commentary, this issue appears to subtly advertise his business.

Of course, most of the literature in his store was radical for the time. One of his most ambitious goals was the common ownership of all real estate, after taking land and power away from the landed gentry.

This is Middlesex, Spence DH 893. This issue is rated Scarce, meaning only a few hundred were likely struck.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:29:52 AM by Larry »

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Conder Token, Middlesex, Spence DH 893 • Bronzed UNC
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »
That's how I like to see coin pictures!  I can see every bit of the surfaces, even the details of the die carving in the lettering.  Nice job, and cool coin! :ThumbsUp;
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Conder Token, Middlesex, Spence DH 893 • Bronzed UNC
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:22:42 AM »
Larry,
  That is one amazing coin that you've got there.

Thomas Spence was extremely controversial in his day,as he favoured the abolition of the British monarchy,& imposing a cross between the Cromwellian Commonwealth & an early form of Communism.

I've been trying to find one of Thomas Spence's coins for my collection,despite my Royalist sympathies,just as a way of filling in a gap in my collection.

Aidan.