Author Topic: Medieval Balkans  (Read 8638 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Medieval Balkans
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 11:37:56 PM »
It appears that you have them in a high state of preservation as well :)

Funny you should say this. Because I slab my choice coins (including the specimen you just saw). I use a file to grind out the slab frame to the diameter required, then I seat the coin in the modified hole. Afterwards, I use my word processor to print a detailed description of the coin. This helps protect my investment. It may not be as good as having them officially graded and slabbed, but it gets the job done.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:40:45 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »

Funny you should say this. Because I slab my choice coins (including the specimen you just saw). I use file to grind out the slab frame to the diameter required, then I seat the coin in the modified hole. Afterwards, I use my word processor to print a detailed description of the coin. This helps protect my investment. It may not be as good as having them official graded and slabbed, but it gets the job done.

~Daniel

That's a pretty good idea :ThumbsUp;

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 11:41:55 PM »

Funny you should say this. Because I slab my choice coins (including the specimen you just saw). I use a file to grind out the slab frame to the diameter required, then I seat the coin in the modified hole. Afterwards, I use my word processor to print a detailed description of the coin. This helps protect my investment. It may not be as good as having them officially graded and slabbed, but it gets the job done.

~Daniel

That's a pretty good idea :ThumbsUp;

Thanks. I'll try to take a picture of one of my slabbed coins to show you the results if you would like?

~Daniel
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:41:16 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »
This next specimen is a silver Helm Dinar (Type 2) from the SERBIAN EMPIRE dating from 1355-1371 AD under Tsar: Stefan Uros V~The Feeble. The obverse depicts the tsar holding a cruciformed scepte, enthroned with Cyrillic initials: УРШЬ/ЧРЬ=STEFAN/TSAR. The reverse depicts Uros's crested helm with Roman legend: VROSIVSI/IMPERATOR=UROS/ EMPEROR.

SERBIAN EMPIRE~AR Helm Dinar (Type 2) 1355-1371 AD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:50:42 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »
The next is a series of silver Dinars issued under Knez/Prince: Lazar Hrebeljanovic. The first Dinar depicts Lazar w/ crown standing in front his throne with Cyrillic legend: КNЗЬ/ЛАЗРЬ=PRINCE LAZAR. The reverse depicts Christ in glory enthroned. The second Dinar depicts Lazar w/o crown standing with Cyrillic legend: КNЗЬ/ЛАЗРЬ=PRINCE LAZAR. The reverse depicts Christ in glory enthroned with Roman initials: IC/XC.

SERBIAN EMPIRE~AR Dinar (Type 1) 1371-1389 AD

SERBIAN EMPIRE~AR Dinar (Type 2) 1371-1389 AD

The last is a Posthumous Dinar. It was issued after the defeat and execution of Lazar at the 'Battle of Kosovo' in 1389. Following his death his son Stefan Lazarevic, who was only twelve years old at the time, became the next prince. However, since Stefan was too young to ascend the throne, Lazar's widow Princess: Milica became regent until her death in 1405 AD. The posthumous issues circulated along with some early issues under Lazarevic's reign. The obverse depicts Lazar standing holding a crucifomed scepter with Italian legend: CONTEL/AGARO=PRINCE LAZAR. The reverse depicts Christ in glory standing with Italian legend: NOVO MONTE MONETA ARGENTA=NEW SILVER MONEY.

SERBIA~AR Dinar (Posthumous) 1389 AD>
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:39:10 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »
This next specimen is a silver Reduced Dinar from SERBIA issued under Nobleman: Vuk Brankovic~Lord of Kosovo. The obverse depicts Vuk enthroned with Cyrillic intials: ВЛКЬ/ВЛКЬ=VUK/VUK. The reverse depicts Christ in glory entroned with moneyers intitals: JAK(O)B=YAKOV.

SERBIA~AR Reduced Dinar 1371-1395 AD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:35:17 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 10:16:34 PM »
Those are really cool, and thanks for the background info, too!

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 10:23:59 PM »
Those are really cool, and thanks for the background info, too!

Chris

Thanks Chris. I won these on an Ebay aution early this month.  Many of these areas have interesting stories to them. I have another coin from Bosnia that should be arriving soon, and I'll post it as soon as it arrives.

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »
This next specimen is a silver Dinar from the KINGDOM OF BOSNIA dating from 1461-1463 AD. It was issued under the reign of King: Stjepan Tomasevic Kotromanic who was the last king of Bosnia. Tomasevic was probably one of the unluckiest rulers in history since he lost not one, but two countries in his life. He first reigned as the last despot of Serbia after he deposed Stefan Brankovic (one of Djuradj Brankovic's sons) in April 1459. However his reign was short lived when the Ottoman Empire, lead by Sultan: Mehmed II, invaded and toppled the remainder of Serbia on June 20 1459 by capturing Smederevo. Tomasevic took refuge in neighboring Bosnia, along with his new wife Maria. After his father Stefan Tomas died on July 10, 1461, Tomasevic assumed the throne and reigned as king until 1463 when the Ottoman Empire invaded Bobovac, the royal seat. Kotromanic was forced to flee to Jajce, then later to Kluc. The Turks captured Tomasevic in Kluc, and had taken him back to Jajce where he was beheaded. His wife, Maria managed to flee to the Adriatic coast and died in exile in 1498.

BOSNIA (KINGDOM)~AR Dinar 1461-1463 AD 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:17:09 AM by Zantetsuken »