Author Topic: A fantastic medal on Bill McKivor's website (not for sale)  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
A fantastic medal on Bill McKivor's website (not for sale)
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:29:34 AM »

This is a tremendous medal, very rare, and originally part of Matthew Bouton's collection.
The French have been trying to buy it, but it is not for sale.
I believe someday it will be worth perhaps millions.

These photos were taken by Eric Holcomb.  I created this adapted composition.

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: A fantastic medal on Bill McKivor's website (not for sale)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »
Very unusual, Larry. Thanks for showing it to us.

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline Conderluva

• Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
I tried to get some of this translated online with limited success.  With the help of a friend and colleague who teaches french, I have now have a decent translation and explanation of the legends on this medal.  Not perfected yet but here goes.

1. Mathew Boulton erected in Soho England, 1788, a machine of steam for the striking of coins.

2. 1798, erected a superior new [machine] of 8 scales/ balances/ or pendulums

3. The circles and details/or rather digits [on this medal] indicate the diameter and number of coins that can be minted per minute.  [i.e. 400 per minute of the largest diameter, 480 of the next smallest, and so on....]

4. 8 infants (assumed a reference back to line No.2) [work]  without tiring/slowing down from larger to smaller or bigger volume

5. Or of 8 different sizes together one can . . .

6. increase the effect to the necessary degree.

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:35:46 AM »
Wow.  Thanks, conderluva.

Now I can spend some time digesting this new information.

I'll comment further after I study the translations some more.  : )
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »

Wow, thanks, Mike.

Here are my first responses...

Boulton's Medal in French  (Translation)

I tried to get some of this translated online with limited success.  With the help of a friend and colleague who teaches french, I have now have a decent translation and explanation of the legends on this medal.  Not perfected yet but here goes.

1. Mathew Boulton erected in Soho England, 1788, a machine of steam for the striking of coins.

This shows definitively that Boulton first struck coins with steam in 1788, imho.

2. 1798, erected a superior new [machine] of 8 scales/ balances/ or pendulums

I wonder if I have seen an illustration of that mechanism.  I don't think I have but would like to.

3. The circles and details/or rather digits [on this medal] indicate the diameter and number of coins that can be minted per minute.  [i.e. 400 per minute of the largest diameter, 480 of the next smallest, and so on....]

It appears that the concentric circles do mimic the various sizes of coins that could be produced there.
Thanks to you and your friend for leading us to the 'diameter factor' which I had not suspected.

4. 8 infants (assumed a reference back to line No.2) [work]  without tiring/slowing down from larger to smaller or bigger volume

This could also mean children, the workers who wore their uniforms and tended each press.

5. Or of 8 different sizes together one can . . .
6. increase the effect to the necessary degree.

Perhaps 5 and 6 refer to striking a few different sizes and types of coins simultaneously, and
if smaller coins were part of the ensemble, press speed could be increased.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:29:39 AM by Larry »