Author Topic: 1761 Regiments Taler  (Read 1554 times)

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
1761 Regiments Taler
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
This has been a coin I have been looking for in high grade for awhile now and my dealer found one for me. It is not an easy piece to find in high grade, and the toning is a pulse. I will work on getting a better pic of it as soon as I have it by the weekend. It is also known as a Sede Vacante in some books. But it was issued as a Regiments Taler. Each banner that is attached to a shield on the front represents a past ruler. On the rev. are military Regiment shield's of past rulers. This is one of the Talers that many debate over on what it should be termed as. Should it be a Sede Vacante or a Regiments Taler. I found one book that calls it a Regiments Taler, and two that list it as a Sede Vacante issue, and list it as a Medallic Taler. They could be used as a 1.5 Taler when buying goods or paying Tax. It is large at 56mm.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:38:54 PM by regandon »

regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: 1761 Regiments Taler
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:33:45 AM »
That's a nice piece with appearance of a medal.

I like the toning and all of those shields and banners.

Most detail remains clear though there is a tad of wear here and there.

Thanks for the detailed description.  : )
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »
I'm still doing some reading on this Taler. It is a medallic coinage issue. So you are correct Larry in stateing it looks like a medal. From what I've found out, it has the weight and size of a 1.5 Taler piece.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline worldcoinguy

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:32:16 AM »
Hi regandon.  You've posted some wonderful german state material on this forum, and I finally decided to get an id setup to join the conversation.   A big thanks to Stephanie for helping me straighten out some technical confusion on my end......

Can I ask what book you were reading that referenced the piece as a Regiments taler?   I am not familiar with the term.    In the fall I purchased a the Zepernick guide on german state cathedral issues.   It was published back in the early 1800s and is oftern one of the refrences used to describe these pieces.    Schulze is the other reference (which I know little about).    This particular piece is referenced as Zepernick 224.   You picked up a nice example.

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »
Hi regandon.  You've posted some wonderful german state material on this forum, and I finally decided to get an id setup to join the conversation.   A big thanks to Stephanie for helping me straighten out some technical confusion on my end......

Can I ask what book you were reading that referenced the piece as a Regiments taler?   I am not familiar with the term.    In the fall I purchased a the Zepernick guide on german state cathedral issues.   It was published back in the early 1800s and is oftern one of the refrences used to describe these pieces.    Schulze is the other reference (which I know little about).    This particular piece is referenced as Zepernick 224.   You picked up a nice example.

Krause calls it a Medallic Regiments Taler. Now they call it a Sede Vacante Taler (of which that is what it is). It is listed also as Schulze 252. I've been told now,.. that Krause call's it a Taler and no longer lists it as a Medallic Taler. Which, as I stated in my earlier post, it seems to be a topic of much debate on what it is called. I am friends with a very well know dealer that has much knowledge on German Talers. He call's it a Medallic Taler of 1.5 Taler weight. Seeing how some call it a Taler, and some call it a medallic Taler, I'm left with doing a lot of research on my own, and also contacting family in Germany to find as much info. as they can for me. There is a 1719 piece with the same design with a mint mark of W, and it is cataloged as a Taler, and not as a medallic issue. I will go by the Zepernick listing, as it is one of the oldest books that list this piece. Thanks for bring up the book. Now that I know what it is listed as in an older reference (early 19th century), I will throw out what Krause is listing it as.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »
Very nice and as usual............LOVE   :Beatingheart; the toning ;D

Offline worldcoinguy

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
There are similar categorization struggles with similar pieces issued by other german states.   I have a similar sized 1.5 taler pieces from Munster in 1801 and from Hildesheim in 1724.      I was disappointed that they were not listed in the new 1501-present Krause guide, but I suppose that would open the door to a whole other genre of medallic issues.