Author Topic: Austria and Bamberg Talers  (Read 1382 times)

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Austria and Bamberg Talers
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »
I did some photos today of my 1618 Austrian Taler, and my Bamberg 1795 Taler.

regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Austria and Bamberg Talers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »
Nice coins! :ThumbsUp; 

Don, have you ever submitted your coins to NGC for grading?  I was just curious, as I had considered sending mine in, but the fees were just astonomical.  Twenty or more coins was going to be over $600 if I recall (it's been a while since I checked).  I'd love to have them encapsulated for better protection, but at that cost I'd have to think hard about it.  That's just too much of the coin budget right now. ;)  I also considered picking up some of the Air-tites like in your pics, but I'm not sure how secure they would be with octagonals like many of my jetons are.  Any suggestions?  I'm about tired of custom-fitting my octagonals in coin world slabs, it's just very difficult to cut out those inserts to fit right. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:00:16 PM by FilthyBroke »
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 04:08:20 PM »
After having a few Talers come back not labled correctly from NGC, I no longer trust their knowledge base on any Talers from the 16th to the 18th century. I had sent in a Bavarian Taler and they labled it as from the German State of Hesse. They did take care of the mistake, but after two more Talers came back not labled correctly, I stopped using them. I have been using PCGS now. But, I seem to like the Air-tites more and more, as they are much cheaper and do protect the coin very good. I can see myself not using any TPGS and only using Air-tites. You can get Air-tites in sizes up to 60mm (AT-Y60). You can also find them that fit 10 oz rounds at 72.82mm diameter, 7.26mm deep. You might be able to find an Air-tite that would work for your Jetons.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 05:36:09 PM »
Heck, I didn't even know PCGS would grade them, but I guess that makes sense.  I know they won't do jetons, or any world medals/tokens as I understand it. It's hard to figure how they (NGC) can misattribute coins and expect to remain a contender in the race.  I did send a few coins to anacs a while back just for the authentication/protection, which went without issue.  I don't mind anacs except for the lack of online updating on our orders.  Overall, I'm nearly soured to the tpg's lately with all the changes going on, and the pricing doesn't help matters either.  A nice set of air-tites may be the practical answer.  I think that the largest size I'd need would be around 36mm, so size shouldn't be an issue. Thanks,  I may just try a few air-tites and see how they work.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:28:11 AM »
First of all, awesome coins 'regandon'. Second, I would be seriously PO'd if I invested the money to get my coins slabbed, and have them screw up the ID labels. For the amount they charge, they should get their act together with their professionalism. After hearing this, I will never use them. Your method is the best. I sometimes buy these capsules  for my better specimens.  I also use slabs that are sold for U.S. coins, then adjust the diameter to accomidate my foreign specimens. Just as effective at a fraction of the cost. Here's an example.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:30:25 AM by Zantetsuken »