Author Topic: A Conder Token for Christmas  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
A Conder Token for Christmas
« on: December 28, 2010, 01:05:46 PM »
I received this nice token from Uncle Bill. 

Here's my Christmas gift Conder Token, an example of Middlesex 948, classified in the National Series, which are generally medals or medalets.

And now, Happy New Year to all numismatists.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:18:36 PM by Larry »

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: A Conder Token for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 01:17:04 PM »
Now there's something I haven't seen before!  Is that gilded brass? 
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re:A Conder Token for Christmas
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »

Yes, it is gilded with brass, something I had not heard of before.

The photo really revealed the truth about a token/medalet that was supposed to be made of brass.

I feel confident that we are seeing areas of a copper planchet showing where gilding has been worn away.

I kept it anyway, and paid UNC money.  I really like it.  : )

I like its color, the scalloped edge, the reflectivity, and I am not bothered by its slight wear.

Sold to me as a brass token, I discovered through my photos the true composition of this piece. I had never heard the term 'gilt' applied to a brass covered coin, token, or medalet, Here is some follow-up communication.

My note to the dealer...

Here's the file I mentioned which includes some attempts to show the token's reflectivity,
which is enhanced by the apparent brass coating, which I imagine was applied at time of manufacture.
I suppose if an example were absolutely without rub, numismatists might think th eplanchet to be brass.
Nobody would want to test the metal like CWT Society which will take rubbings of the edge to
determine metallic content. WIth my token, the composition seems evident to me.

DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong, which is not completely without precedent. LOL

Like my silvered Birmingham 1, the tops of details have had the brass worn through or thin,
revealing what I believe is a copper planchet beneath. I suppose we could say this one has been 'brassed.'
though we'll probably never know all we could about this piece.

The dealer's reply...

Hi Larry,
Though a brass coating, usually the term gilt is applied to gold plated and brass plated items. Why I do not know. Checked after we talked, and yes, they are listed as copper, Brass, gilt, and silvered. A couple of them are known in full silver, too. Seems that this one is plated, then. No disclaimer needed. I am then still waiting for a fully brass version. I am now beginning to wonder if all the brass pieces that D&H thought were brass were just plated as well. Nearly all of the pieces seen are plated. Very few "just copper," have never had a silver one, but lots of silvered and gilt pieces.

Thanks for sharing. I learn something every day. Shall suspect any brass pieces I see. Had the opposite a while back, had a token that for all the world looked like gilt, but on checking it out, it is brass.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:24:17 PM by Larry »
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »
I replaced the photos in the OP after taking better pics.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:22:39 PM by Larry »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
Yeah, you can really see the copper in the new pics.  A very interesting piece, neat story too.  What exactly is done to test metal content?  Do they actually have to scrape the metal to test it, or can a swabbing show what they need?  I'd have to take a pass on the scraping part. ;) 

Again, very cool token! :ThumbsUp;
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »
I'll also pass on any destructive measures, but the Civil War Token Society has been known to routinely rub an edge
to remove a tiny sample amount, which sends shivers up my spine. 

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
A Conder token for Christmas.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:45:19 PM »
Larry,
  That is very nice.

I have never come across anything like it.

What denomination is it supposed to be,considering that its shape is unlike any British coin of the late 18th. Century that I have come across.

Aidan.

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: A Conder Token for Christmas
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »

Although classified as a Conder Token, this issue was not intended for circulation, but for sale to collectors.

It's from the National Series, which are not actually coins or tokens, but medals, or medalets.

It reamns the only example of a Conder Token that I've come across that had a scalloped edge.

As a medalet, it was not assigned a monetary value, but it appears in D&H, and that is why is is considered to be a Conder Token.
I believe this issue would have ben catalogued by James Copnder himself.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 02:07:15 PM by Larry »