Author Topic: New Theme - Jehovah Talers  (Read 9275 times)

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
New Theme - Jehovah Talers
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
This will be a very slow, long journey - accumulating Talers depicting God's name Jehovah (YHWE in Hebrew).

Some background - Three events greatly influenced the course of human history – the creation of a faith centered on One God, the emergence from the Dark Ages into a renaissance of enlightenment in the 16th century, and the religious wars in which almost half the population of Europe died 100 years later. These shared a common denominator: that God attended the constant appeals for protection and solace, in their lives, by royalty and citizens of the time.

The appreciation of this faith was the use of the Name of God, in Hebrew, considered the language of God, on coins and medals of the middle ages.

This is my first of this type. Some doubling on the lettering and the obverse, yet still maintains the uniqueness of this piece in my view. Only 700 minted.

1671 Saxe-Gotha, Ernst the Pious (1640-1675) Reichstaler. DAV-7451.
Theme: Marriage Ernst's son Bernhard Saxe-Meiningen, Marie Hedwig of Hesse-Darmstadt.

Obverse: Bride and groom joined hands. Dove under Jehovah in Hebrew Letters with rays descending on wedding couple.
Reverse: Twelve line inscription detailing the marriage of his son Bernhard and Maria Hedwig of Hesse-Darmstadt.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:01:57 PM by Zohar444 »

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Re: New Theme - Jehovah Talers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:14:25 PM »
Very nice piece Zohar. It is nice to see one that is in great condition. Thanks for posting it, it is very nice eye candy . I know this is a new field of Taler collecting for you. Its good to see you reaching out to the German States. That Taler you have is a prize find in that condition.

Some info for you. A lot of the mint engravers and mint masters were Jewish in the German Mints during the 16th to 18th centuries. After the 18th century, you will not see many (or should I say any) German Talers with Hebrew writing.
The mint official during 1671 was Ernst Friedrich Schneider  (in Coburg).
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »
Thanks regandon - who needs a reference book ! This is great supplemental info.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »

This is going to be a neat collection to follow.  I'd bet that these are a tough find, too.  Very nice first pick, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this type. :)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Keep an eye out for the Hurtz Talers Zohar. They are not easy ones to locate in nice grades. If you find them the Biblical sceens on them are very nice. Here is photo of a 2Taler that took a long time to find.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »
regandon, thanks for sharing !

Baptisimal Taler is next.  I assume these are broad flan?

KM descriptor of the above.

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
Yes they are. 50mm and up.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS