Author Topic: Somerset, Bridgewater DH 87 • Halfpenny Conder Token  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Somerset, Bridgewater DH 87 • Halfpenny Conder Token
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:31:55 AM »

This is Somerset, Bridgewater DH 87, a halfpenny Conder Token

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Re:Somerset, Bridgewater DH 87 • Halfpenny Conder Token
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:41:48 AM »
You have my interest growing in these Conder Tokens Larry. What is the best books to get ?
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Somerset, Bridgewater DH 87 • Halfpenny Conder Token
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »

Thanks, Regandon...

The best books are two:

•  The Provincial Token - Coinage of the 18th Century by Dalton & Hamer, 1910-1918, reprinted in 1990 by Allan Davisson.
Contains descriptions, photos and rarities, and is out of print now.  Copies are available here and there,
the least expensive being from Bill McKivor, probably.

•  The Token Book for values, recently released by Paul and Bente Withers in England.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:12:27 PM by Larry »
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,

Offline Conderluva

• Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
Enter one admittedly biased opinion.  The Ultimate Guide to Conder Tokens is a great reference for the series.   I finished the first edition a around this time last year.

Speaking for myself, I find it particularly useful to have a digital reference on my computer desktop because essentially all of my collecting of this series is done somehow through online sales, be it at auctions, Cheapside tokens, Bill McKivor, Gary Groll, Dave Stuart, etc.    That was one of main reasons that I created it.  I like having hardcopy references but the book is huge and  the Conder series is so massive that I often wished I had something that was digitized so that I could execute searches, etc.  Plus, the digital DH has a more streamlined formatting and includes integrated rarity ratings that you'll have to search through footnotes for in the hardcopy.    That's just my opinion though...and like I said, a biased one.  Though I have received feedback from a good number of collectors that like it for very much the same reasons.

Also, the second edition is currently being hashed out and will contain individual pricing info for many, many tokens.   Will keep you all posted on that. 

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
Enter one admittedly biased opinion.  The Ultimate Guide to Conder Tokens is a great reference for the series.   I finished the first edition a around this time last year.

Speaking for myself, I find it particularly useful to have a digital reference on my computer desktop because essentially all of my collecting of this series is done somehow through online sales, be it at auctions, Cheapside tokens, Bill McKivor, Gary Groll, Dave Stuart, etc.    That was one of main reasons that I created it.  I like having hardcopy references but the book is huge and  the Conder series is so massive that I often wished I had something that was digitized so that I could execute searches, etc.  Plus, the digital DH has a more streamlined formatting and includes integrated rarity ratings that you'll have to search through footnotes for in the hardcopy.    That's just my opinion though...and like I said, a biased one.  Though I have received feedback from a good number of collectors that like it for very much the same reasons.

Also, the second edition is currently being hashed out and will contain individual pricing info for many, many tokens.   Will keep you all posted on that.

I will second that Conderluva, great reference, extremely detailed :smiley-cool11: :smiley-cool11:

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:00:54 AM »
That's right, Mike and Stefanie.  The Ultimate Guide to Conder Tokens is excellent, and in a somewhat different format.  I use it and recommend it to friends.  I still use the books, too.  The Ultimate Guide will prove superior, in some respects, to heavy books.

If I didn't have D&H, I'd use the Ultimate Guide all the time.  But I have made penciled notes for each token acquired in the margins of my copy of D&H, so I'll continue with that practice.  : )

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Somerset, Bridgewater DH 87 • Halfpenny Conder token.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 01:30:44 AM »
Larry,
  That's another very nice coin that you have got there.

Aidan.

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »
That is a very nice design. Do you get these graded?

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
Hi, Zohar....

I don't send any Conder Tokens for grading since I have a pretty good idea of how to grade my Conder Tokens and U.S. coins.
I receive raw coins graded by dealers as a rule, and I often overrule a grade after careful study.  Sometimes up, sometimes down.
All of my slabbed examples came already graded and slabbed.  I have had a few 'reholdered' by NGC at the same grades.