Author Topic: The Haspburgs  (Read 1085 times)

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
The Haspburgs
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »
The Haspburg Brothers Joseph I and Charles VI. I wanted to show my forum friends two new Talers. I would like to thank my good friend Zohar for giving me the chance to trade with him for these two Talers I needed for my Austrian Emperor set. I will be sending the 1707 Taler to get a new NGC edge view slab. Both of these Talers are graded NGC AU55. I have a few more Austrian Talers I will be adding to the set over the next few weeks.

Davenports book states that the 1713 Taler is a one year issue. Krause states otherwise. I will go with Davenport any day over Krause as the reference book to go by.

1713 is a very important historical year. It was the year of the Treaty of Utrecht, which ended the Spanish Succession. 

Charles was a claimant to the Spanish throne when it became vacant on the death of Charles II in 1700. After the outbreak of the War of the Spanish Succession (1701), most of Germany, as well as England, the United Provinces of the Netherlands, and Portugal, recognized Charles. From 1704 to 1711 he attempted to impose his rule but succeeded only in Catalonia. On the death of his elder brother, the emperor Joseph I, in 1711, he inherited all the Austrian territories. Thereupon his allies, unwilling to tolerate a reestablishment of the empire of Charles V, abandoned him and recognized Philip V of Bourbon as king of Spain by the Treaty of Utrecht (1713). Charles, who had been elected Holy Roman emperor in 1711, was forced to leave Spain but continued the war against France until 1714, when, by the Treaty of Rastatt, he gained territories in Italy in partial compensation for the loss of Spain. His Spanish advisers, however, continued to exercise great influence for a number of years. After the return of peace in the West, he conducted a highly successful war against the Ottoman Empire (1716–18).
Toward the end of his reign Austria’s fortunes declined. Charles lost the War of the Polish Succession (1733–38), and a new conflict with Turkey (1736–39) resulted in the loss of most southeastern territories gained in 1718.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:29:11 PM by regandon »

regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: The Haspburgs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 06:10:07 PM »
Very impressive! :ThumbsUp;

added--that 1707 is sweet!  Only au55?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:12:31 PM by FilthyBroke »
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
Re: The Haspburgs
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »
Great pickups. That 1707 is undergraded and simply sweet. 1713 is indeed a key date. Great write-up to boot.