Went to the book store yesterday and found a great US pattern book

Back
  • Went to the book store yesterday and found a great US pattern book   by coinsarefun on 04 Jan, 2010 12:39
  • Oh, boy...............look out, may have to sell some stuff soon!!!:Funny;

I have been toying around with the idea of getting just a few patterns.
    I love the site http://www.uspatterns.com/I visit often

But, I wanted a book to read, to actually flip through the pages and gawk at them while drinking my coffee:)

So, does anyone else have this book or any opinions on this book?
    So far it reads very well.

a short write up on it:

By J. Hewitt Judd, M.D., edited by Q. David Bowers. Pattern Coins rare, mysterious, and beautiful.
    These seldom-seen experimental pieces illustrate the trials, struggles, and backstate intrigue that preceeded som
    many of the U.S. Mint's regular-issue coins.
    Q. David Bowers offers a fascinating inside look at the history, rarity, and market values of America's rarest coins.
    Hardcover, Full Color, 352 Pages.AuthorJ. Hewitt Judd, M.DPub Date 2009Binding HardcoverSize 6x9Pages 352
  • Reply #1   by Wil2008 on 04 Jan, 2010 13:52
  •  :agree;        You should sell some stuff!!!   :LOL;   Waiting for the opportunity.     :3dancingsmiley;
  • Reply #2   by Larry on 04 Jan, 2010 14:52
  • Hi, Stef...

:signcool;    That looks like a great book for you, even if you only look at the pictures.   :D

• Reply #3   by walmann on 04 Jan, 2010 15:09
  • There are some great patterns, but a very pricey addiction those can be.

Collecting Conder Tokens are the equivalent to collecting from pocket change when compared to many of the prices paid for obtaining patterns.
  • Reply #4   by coinsarefun on 04 Jan, 2010 15:09
  • Hi, Stef...

:signcool;    That looks like a great book for you, even if you only look at the pictures.   :D

How did you know???? Who told you??? Now the secret is out that I only buy books and magazines for the pictures and not the articles :Funny; :))
  • Reply #5   by RHM22 on 05 Jan, 2010 07:27
  • There's a great (but dated) book on U.S. patterns available for free on Google Books. I'll see if I can find it and post a link. It's really pretty interesting, given it's age.

On another note, world patterns can be purchased on the cheap. Some, in fact, sell for as little as $10 with a mintage of less than 1,000. They just don't hold the same allure to me, however, as U.S. and 19th century European patterns do. Unfortunately, I don't own a single pattern at present.
  • Reply #6   by RHM22 on 05 Jan, 2010 07:29

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page:
You're not logged in

Navigation