Author Topic: Federal Reserve Notes- The Core of my Collection  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
Federal Reserve Notes- The Core of my Collection
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:09:34 AM »
   Hello folks, I have been doing some reasearch over the past few days, and I have determined that I am going to attempt to do a "set" of small FRNs.

For now, I am going to work on getting one example of each denomination, from each issue. In time, I will work on adding each of the districts, for each issue. Meaning, if I am somewhere and see two different districts from one issue, and a same district from a different issue, I will purchase one of each issue, regardless of the district. But I plan, in time to work on all the districts too. Hey...I am 24, I have plenty of time to work on it By issue, I mean series. IE 2003-A and 2003, for example. Of cource, if I can nab them from circulation, I will

For now, the entire collection has been pulled from circulation...Soon...either next month at CoinFest, or next year when I have more money to spend on my hobbies, I will begin purchasing older issues.

I feel that I can, reasonably, build a complete set of issues up to and including the $20. A truly complete set, of each district, might not be as easy, especially the older issues. Above the $20, that probably won't happen...on my limited income, I never see anything higher then $20s, and I can't afford to set them aside that often, let alone $50s, and I have not handled a $100 bill in more then 5 years. I do have two 50s, and both of those were birthday gifts from my mom. At times I've been VERY close to spending them, but I have been able to resist that urge so far, and I hope I always do, hopefully it won't get that bad again where I start to feel that it might be better served to spend them instead of keep them for my collection. Of cource, if it does, I won't be adding any new currency to my collection for a while! I think those days are done though so I am happy about that!

For reference purposes, I will provide the districts here:
A1 = Boston
B2 = New York
C3 = Philadelphia
D4= Cleveland
E5 = Richmond
F6 = Atlanta
G7 = Chicago
H8 = St. Louis
I9 = Minneapolis
J10 = Kansas City
K11 = Dallas
L12 = San Francisco

OK, here goes! Sorry some of the scans are crooked...Oops!
1976 B $2

1976 K $2

1981-A A $20. I found this in circulation last year, my best non-star circulation find to date. Almost a repeater, too!

1996 G $50

1999 L Star Note...this was my first star note! I got this in change at the Hobby Town USA in Toledo, Ohio last year. I was more excited about getting this then the items I went in to purchase! In fact, I don't even REMEMBER what I purchased, and it was less then a year ago! (I also traded a dime for three wheat cents in the take a penny tray!)

2001 G $20. Off center, while most don't consider it an error because it's not off the note in any places, it's the closest thing to an error I had found at that time. I later found a $1 with an ink spot in the date, that was not added later. (It's under the date, if that makes sence)

2003 L $5 star. Another circ find. Too bad it's in such bad shape...

2003-A D $2. Got this from the bank.

I just got this 2003-A K $1 this week, I went on a trip to Lake George, my favorite place, and when I came home, this note was sitting on the floor. It appears that it was going to be taken along and spent, but fell and nobody noticed, and when I saw how nice condition the note was, it moved into my collection!

Here's that error I talked about above. The excess ink is clearly "under" the date, I have no doubt whatsoever that it was applied the same time the date was by the BEP.

Here's my other $50. My mom gave me this for my 20th birthday, which was in October 2004. This note would be PERFECT without the minor crease at the top right, I believe those are referred to as teller folds.

This $20 was found the very next day after the $5 star above. Too bad there is metallic pink paint on it

This $20 Star is from a different district but the same series as the previous. This was the second star note I ever found.

I saved this 2006 E $5 because it was in great condition. One of the first notes I saved just for the sake of saving it, it wasn't otherwise special...the beginnings of a collector, perhaps...except I can't remember what order I found it and some others in!

This 2006 $10 was saved for the same reason the previous $5 was.

Recently I got 40 consecutive $20s. The bank must have opened a pack recently...I couldn't afford to save all 40 of them, so I chose one for my collection. I chose this one for the 3434 in the serial number.

I have some other notes that I don't have scanned, either...I will scan then in and then either edit the main post or post them as a reply...

What do you all think? I know to most currency collectors, this would probably be considered spending money but to me, it is the foundation of my entire collection. I'm not going to stop collecting them if people don't like them, so I would like some honest feedback...thanks!

Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!