Author Topic: Khanate of Khiva  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Khanate of Khiva
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »
Here is an extremely rare proof silk note for the KHANATE OF KHIVA. Khiva was conquered by the Russian Empire in 1873. Although Russia had control over Khiva, they still enjoyed a degree of self-rule. Following the Russian Revolution of 1917, The Khanate of Khiva became a fully independent state until 1920 when the Soviets took control. This is a silk note pattern for a 250 Ruble note. The date for this issue was to be 1338 AH/1919 AD. This note lacks denomination, date and serial number. Notes for Khiva are very rare in any condition, especially silk notes.

KHIVA (KHANATE) 250 Ruble 1338 AH/1920 AD <<PROOF>> *

* Although there is no details on the note, I marking the date and denomination according to Krause's Catalog: P#40 specifications.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:20:50 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Khanate of Khiva
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »
Silk note.............how cool is that ;D

It would make a great area rug if was bigger :Funny;

Very cool, thanks for posting it

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »
Silk note.............how cool is that ;D

It would make a great area rug if was bigger :Funny;

Very cool, thanks for posting it

I'm glad you like it Stefanie. True that about it being like a rug.  In fact, the texture almost feels like a Persian rug.  They also issued silk notes during the earlier part of the Soviet order. I still have yet get one of the Soviet issues, but they won't come cheap. The least expensive one went for about $300 USD for a 1,000 Ruble note 1920 on Ebay. Soviet silk notes are rare enough, but Khanate notes are near impossible to find. One auction site had this same pattern that went for $700 USD if my memory serves me.  I got this note at a coin show today. Best wishes  :).

~Daniel
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:02:21 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »
I received word on another from a fellow collector that this is actually a PROOF note which is used to test the printing plates and inks. I made the corrections in description. My thanks to 'BCnumismatics' for the information and your help if your reading this.

~Daniel.

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
Daniel,
  You're welcome!

There's a lot of photos of Central Asian notes,both old & new,up on http://www.zeno.ru .

Khiva is now part of Uzbekistan.

Aidan.