Author Topic: World and Ancient Coins  (Read 5513 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
World and Ancient Coins
« on: June 29, 2009, 02:27:12 AM »
Please share your stories,knowledge and expertise you have gained in all the years of collecting regarding World and and Ancient Coinage

Give us reasons why you started collecting and share any tips you may have.

Stefanie
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:35:28 AM by coinsarefun »

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World and Ancient Coins
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:36:08 AM »
Until recently the only other world coins I had collected were German and Sierra Leonan coins, as these were two countries that I had lived in for more than a few months.

But the Britannia, especially the proofs, have caused me to go further into the darkside and in fact the two areas I now concentrate on are the British Britannia and Sovergeins in addition to US proof platinums.

When I get a chance I'll post some photos of these most addictive coins.
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:27:47 PM »
I've been collecting coins since I was 9 years old. I started with inexpensive American coins, then branched out into foreign coins. I collect anything that is unique or strikes my interest, but my main focus is coins from the Russian sphere and Eastern Europe (both medieval and modern). Soon I'll try to post some of my interesting specimens that I have from the Medieval Balkans.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:32:59 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »
Here is a design the reminds me of some great medals and commemoratives from years gone by.
2009 Austrian 10 Euro, not bad a for a modern.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:15:02 AM »
Here is a design the reminds me of some great medals and commemoratives from years gone by.
2009 Austrian 10 Euro, not bad a for a modern.

That's a sweet looking coin. It looks similar to some of the crown coins from Medieval Europe with it's elaborate detail. Thanks for sharing.

Offline ormandh

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »
I started collecting world coins after becoming a member of the Collector Universe forums on the PCGS site. Before I was interested in this sector of collecting, I was interested in US issues. I started to come across these neat issues from other countries, which intrigued me. I soon realized that it was much more satisfying to focus on obscure issues from foreign countries and sometime thereafter I started to sell off my US collection and focus primarily on this newfound area of numismatics! You gotta love it! -Dan

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:30:05 AM »
I started collecting world coins after becoming a member of the Collector Universe forums on the PCGS site. Before I was interested in this sector of collecting, I was interested in US issues. I started to come across these neat issues from other countries, which intrigued me. I soon realized that it was much more satisfying to focus on obscure issues from foreign countries and sometime thereafter I started to sell off my US collection and focus primarily on this newfound area of numismatics! You gotta love it! -Dan

Sounds like the track I may be taking. The design element is really drawing me to a number of world issues. Except for some exceptional US designs, such as many of the Platinum issues as well as numerous medals, I have lost much interest in persuing series collection.

I'd rather enjoy the beauty of individual coin then persue accumulating every issue of  most series.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:08:25 PM »

I'm with you on this. I started collecting inexpensive US coins when I was 9 years old, then branched into foreign when my father gave me a can of foreign coins that he got from his father. I then started to focus on coins from Russia and Eastern Europe. I was lucky I started collecting Russian coins early on, because they are starting to get very expensive and the demand is high for certain pieces. Currently, I'm hunting coins from the medieval Balkans which in my opinion is a very fascinating area. They have some very interesting and beautiful patterns.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:37:55 AM »
I agree, world coins have some very cool designs.
US coinage just doesn't have the artistic flair

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 02:14:01 AM »
I agree, world coins have some very cool designs.
US coinage just doesn't have the artistic flair

Exactly. That's one of the reasons I got away from American coins. They used the same pattern for years at a time to the point that it's dull and boring. Another reason I got away from American coins was because of the outrageous prices some of the dealers charged for even the low grade coins. As you stated, world coins often have very interesting and varying patterns. By the way, nice coins you've got posted. I especially love the tropical fish design on the Barbados coin, and elephants on the coin from Rhodesia & Nyasaland. Thanks for sharing.