Author Topic: How does a website collect its members  (Read 4327 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
How does a website collect its members
« on: January 19, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »
This will require a complex answer. People have so many reasons for doing anything ,it is difficult to give
a single answer. Mainly new members come by word of mouth. They find that either birds of a feather flock
together or that the style of the website is appealing to them. A number of folks stumble over a website by
sheer accident. A few are people who have rejected the bigger more controlled websites like CU. What ever
the reason, people generally stay because they feel comfortable with the atmosphere, the members and the
subjects discussed. It is rather nice to voice an opinion ,without having some pseudo experts jump down your
throat. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Rational discussion should be able to clear things up in a collegial
manner. If not, we are all still entitled to our opinion. Humble though as it may be.

As this Forum grows in numbers, I hope the same low key exchange of ideas and opinions will continue. I
believe that it will and I am selecting a nice warm cave near this new website to hang out when it rains. :P

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
Re: How does a website collect its members
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:34:34 PM »
Well, I started collecting coins only last year. I asked on another forum I am on if anyone knew of any coin collecting forums. One poster there gave me a link to the CU forum, which I joined instantly and have been posting on ever since, although not as much as some or as even I once did.

Eventually, I broadened my horizons a bit, joining first CoinTalk in the spring of last year and right here in the fall. Around the same time I joined here I also joined FORVM ancient coins but I have to say the conversations there are way over my head.

I just recently joined another forum but I don't like one of the features on it so I don't think I will post that often on it.

I usually check CU, here and Coin Talk daily, or at least every day I can get on forums, but if time is short I check here first and then CoinTalk, leaving the much more unweildy CU for when I have more time. Percentage wise I have read the most threads here, in that I've read most of them in the sections that interest me, where the other forums I have read only a few by comparison.
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:42:18 PM »
This will require a complex answer. People have so many reasons for doing anything ,it is difficult to give
a single answer. Mainly new members come by word of mouth. They find that either birds of a feather flock
together or that the style of the website is appealing to them. A number of folks stumble over a website by
sheer accident. A few are people who have rejected the bigger more controlled websites like CU. What ever
the reason, people generally stay because they feel comfortable with the atmosphere, the members and the
subjects discussed. It is rather nice to voice an opinion ,without having some pseudo experts jump down your
throat. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Rational discussion should be able to clear things up in a collegial
manner. If not, we are all still entitled to our opinion. Humble though as it may be.

As this Forum grows in numbers, I hope the same low key exchange of ideas and opinions will continue. I
believe that it will and I am selecting a nice warm cave near this new website to hang out when it rains. :P

I think you have summed it up quite nicely Bear.
The only I would like to add is a question to you and all those here.

How can we or I do to this site to draw more people to it?
Although we are a new forum, only been open for 6 months or so we re doing better than I thought.

We even had a a write up in Numismatic monthly

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/coinarefun/cdd487de.jpg

I have placed an informative video on YouTube and trying to spread our presence by word of mouth..

I am a bit prejudice when it comes to forums(since this one belongs to US!!)
But, I think we have the best mix of people here. We are not censored and not to vulgar here at CAF.

So what else can I do to promote our little gang?
Quite a few from CU joined such as Longacre but made one post and hasn't been heard from since:(

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
I just followed the trail of jelly donuts and they led me directly here. :0

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
I just followed the trail of jelly donuts and they led me directly here. :0

Well...........if I would have known that you were that easy........................ >:D  :Funny;

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »
Well...........if I would have known that you were that easy........................ >:D  :Funny;

:D 

I think that they will come in due time, we should just be patient and set an example that forums can be managed in a friendly and civilized manner.  I tell all who I think may be interested, that's all we can do I guess.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
Ooh, ooh, get Keets. He is smart, and would be a real asset.
The rumors of Keets eating raw meat and  chewing onnewbies
 is probably not true. :1cussing;

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »
I'm here because it seemed like a fun place to be! I think if you can get other people to realize it is a fun place to be they will be here too.

Or you could offer them free stuff. Nothing gets people like the chance to get something for nothing. But...do you just want people who want stuff, or do you want people that are going to be solid contributors to the board? (That is a rhetorical question, I am not actually looking for an answer)

I need to make one correction to my first post. I have a hard time viewing 2009 as last year yet. I started collecting in 2008, not 2009. Must remember it's now 2010!
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
Ooh, ooh, get Keets. He is smart, and would be a real asset.
The rumors of Keets eating raw meat and  chewing onnewbies
 is probably not true. :1cussing;

Ok, I sent him a PM :)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »
I'm here because it seemed like a fun place to be! I think if you can get other people to realize it is a fun place to be they will be here too.

Or you could offer them free stuff. Nothing gets people like the chance to get something for nothing. But...do you just want people who want stuff, or do you want people that are going to be solid contributors to the board? (That is a rhetorical question, I am not actually looking for an answer)

I need to make one correction to my first post. I have a hard time viewing 2009 as last year yet. I started collecting in 2008, not 2009. Must remember it's now 2010!

We had a nice giveaway at Christmas, but only one signed up.  I think that as more become aggravated with the management at CU, more will decide to stop by and check us out. 

Bear has sure been a welcomed addition, with all of the thought-provoking questions. :)  We sure have a diverse crowd so far, but it makes for some interesting reading and fresh material.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html