Author Topic: What will the coin market be like in 2010  (Read 2206 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
What will the coin market be like in 2010
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
Because of unstable economic forces world wide, I see the coin market pretty much staying where it is
today. For collectors a slightly soft to stable market is not the worst thing if one intends to add to ones
collection. I believe that we will continue to see dealers stale dredges of merchandise appear over and
over again in auctions with a high reserve price that will not be met. My hope, is that more dealers will
get realistic and lower their selling prices to reflect the new reality. I believe that this may happen as
dealers can delay getting financially solvent only so long before going out of business. I would expect auctions
price sheets and the CU Price guide to reflect reality by continuing an overall modest downward slide.

Perhaps we shall see some rotation of  strength into the Barber and Seated Liberty series but I have just
about given up on Classic Commems until sometime in 2011 or 2012. In coin collecting it is important to know
what to buy, how to grade, when to buy and from whom to buy. So Called halves and dollars have cooled off
the past year after 5 red hot years of advances. If you collect these lovely pieces of metal, go for high
condition while the market is soft. Unless these medals are truly rare and desirable,most serious collectors
want beautiful medals in beautiful condition.Morgan dollars will be stable with a slight downward bias.

Capped Bust Quarters and Halves, may seem plentiful at times but this is mainly the garbage. Really nice
ones have become as rare as hens teeth and will get only scarcer this year.They should continue relatively
strong in price and demand. I do not have the faintest idea where Lincoln Pennies are going but  a flat out
guess would be full red Lincolns will be rather a hot item and remain expensive. Remember, my opinion is worth
every cent you pay for it......which means its worth.......... absolutely nothing. :0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:01:01 PM by bear »

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: What will the coin market be like in 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
In other words, I do not expect any big upward explosion in prices overall in 2010 unless, it is at
the very end of the year. More then likely, I would expect a turnaround in mid 2011.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »
If I happen to be correct, then I will be more suprised then you will. :))

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
You know bear, a few month's back I thought I knew what was going to happen with the 2010
coin market. Better material would come out of the woodwork and give people a chance to  pick up material that has been buried for years. And, at first there was some great material to be had a lower prices.

Then, less material came out and prices were set with high reserves. Even this newest Stacks auctions
I have noticed that items that came out with a no reserve on them suddenly have reserves set on them.

So I will guess, that this coming year we may see very few fresh material and basically a stagnant market of so so coins and trying to ask for high premiums.

I think after Long Beach show I will have a better feel for what may be.

I will tell you one more thing.................At the local coin shops here in So. Cal.
I used to be able to go in and find nice RAW ms63-65 toned Morgans at a reasonable price.

Then they began to increase their price by double and now a few dealers have said, no we are
not selling any toned Morgans We are holding on to them.......WHAT THE HECK?????

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »
Interesting Stephanie, apparently when you can not sell an item, just keep increasing
the price until it does sell.I suppose, much like the banks, increase the paper value of
your inventory, even if they are not salable at almost any price.I think that the coin
makers and shakers are trying to maintain prices in a shakey market. If this is true, we
 shall all know soon enough if prices start to really plunge with a frantic tone. I feel as if
someone with big feet has just walked over my still empty grave plot.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »
Yes, I think they are either going to raise the price or carry it with them to their graves

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:41:52 PM »
I just do not believe that the L.B. Show will be anything other then more of what we
have been seeing all last year.Mixed results, lackluster turn out of the public and a
continuing lack of top quality coins.The US Dollar is being manipulated to show some
strength . If that continues Gold and silver will not be going anywhere for the
immediate future. Still, it may not be the worst time to look around for some nice
coins at a reasonable price. It will not be easy, but it will be worth your while to try.

While I have tended to sell more coin over the past three year, I will still buy that unusual
splendid coin If I feel It will fit in with my box of 20 and if the price seems reasonable.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:28:50 AM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
Well, you may be right. I spoke to Julian and he's not going to the show.
Not sure why but I will ask him.

I usually go to submit my goodies to NGC and PCGS, give the place a once over.
If it was anything like the Summer ANA in downtown then I do believe we are in for
quite a hibernating year for the coin market
There may be a few hiding at a great price ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:15:14 AM by coinsarefun »