Author Topic: Do you think TPG's are going to get even tougher on grading toned coins?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
I guess its because all the coin doctors seem to be coming out of the closet for the big bucks.

But it really hurts the people who really do have beautiful toned coins and can't get them in any other slab than a genuine :(

It appears that none of them are really willing to step up to the plate and figure out a way of
determining AT from NT!

Which reminds me has PCGS ever figured out a way to stop the milk spots
on the ASE's yet :HMMMMM;

I asked Don Willis a question via pm last week regarding a toned Uncirculated mint(1964-1992) set that toned in an after market holder. His reply was to submit and see then.

In which my reply was.......what about if I meet you at the show and show you the coins in the aftermarket holder. In which his reply was that he was willing to take a look. Which actually is great progress.

My last question to him was "Do you or PCGS consider any coin that is toned in an after market AT?"
In which no reply was made:(

So tell me your thoughts!

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Do you think TPG's are going to get even tougher on grading toned coins?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:24:01 PM »
Well, you have already done better than I did when I asked management a simple question a while back - "Specifically what world coins will you grade?"  No response at all. :(  At least you got a response from them.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:27:42 PM by coinsarefun »
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:26:36 PM »
Well, you have already done better than I did when I asked management a simple question a while back - "Specifically what world coins will you grade?"  No response at all. :(  At least you got a response from them.

Have you PM'd Don Willis?
That's what I did

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:27:23 PM by coinsarefun »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:41:52 PM »

Have you PM'd Don Willis?
That's what I did

I just sent a message to Q&A, didn't actually figure on getting a response.

As to the AT-NT question, I just figured that they have tightened up on all aspects due to having to make big payouts lately for their mistakes and the fact that a coin can change slightly in the holder.  Didn't a $12000 Lincoln memorial cent recently downgrade to a $100 coin due to changes after slabbing?  That was where I think that this all began, but that's just my take.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:42:24 PM by FilthyBroke »
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html