Author Topic: '  (Read 2222 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
'
« on: January 23, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »
With all of the issues facing the Nation and the world, one would think that the folks on this website,
who are really smart by the way, would be able to come up with some discussion topics several times
a day, every day.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 06:48:37 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: WHY ARE THERE SO FEW NEW THREADS?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 05:05:35 PM »
That's why I invited you here Bear. ;D

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 05:40:53 PM »

I think that we're a more leisurely crowd here, not easily riled.  People just drop by and see what's happening or to say 'hi'.  Plus, the rules are comfortable and folks just seem happier. 

If you'd like, I can start a CAC thread or a dealer 'rip' thread to try to stir things up, but I doubt that it would have much effect. ;) ;D
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »
Alright, then lets talk about the 1st Amendment to the Constitution and the recent Court ruling
as to political contributions by companies and corporations. I really does not matter which way the Court
ruled, as the question of the influence of elected officials by big money interests would still exist. The
answer is really simple. All National elected officials, must have their funds provided buy thr Federal Government
or the cost of the campaigning limited by the the particular office to be filled.

Problems with the existing system:

1. Regardless of ones political affiliation, there is no question that many of our elected leaders are heavily
influenced by the money contributed to them by lobbyists.

2. We see such activity causing legislative gridlock as neither Party is in much of a position to do anything
truly meaningful, for the citizens of their area or of the Nation.

3.This is not to say that I am not pretty fed up with both parties. The only thing most of our legislators seem
to care about is getting reelected and leaving with a lot of money.

4. The poisoning of the political pool with money, has made it almost impossible for talented folks with good
intentions from being nominated and elected. Do you wonder why it now takes 30 million dollars to run for
the Senate in a states like Calif, Texas,  ect, ect. When folks say that we have the best government that m
money can buy, the had no idea how true that has become.In stead of being a Senator from any state, why
don't they just were the logo of the companies they represent like Nascar Racers.
===============================================================================
Another problem is the filibuster in the Senate. It was created to give the minority party the ability to slow
down and stop legislation by the majority. However, the number of threats of filibuster have almost tripled
where each and every proposed bill is subjected to the 60 vole overrule unlike the House where a simple 50%
plus 1 is all it takes to pass a motion. We now have a Legislature that is posing and preening instead of
legislating, problems like Soc Sec, medicare, Health care, the economy , jobs seem to be going nowhere.

==================================================================================Another problem is districts for the purpose of electing State and National Officials. Both parties create
nice safe districts ,so that only the most liberal or the most conservative people can get nominated and elected. What we need is some impartial way to restructure districts so that moderate folks from both parties
can be elected. How this is to be done with out politicizing the process is beyond me.
==================================================================================

The problem with the Supreme Court is that neither side seems to be able to judge the merits of any case
without preconceived opinions and expansive extensions beyond long established law. Sure Plesy Vrs Furgeson
required a massive change but that was to end legal bondage of a large portion of our population in segregated areas. Brown Vrs The School Board ended schools dictated by the color of ones skin. There is a time for an active Court and a time for a more modest Court, in rulings and the Justices must grow beyond
politics to know the difference between the two , when one or the other is appropriate.
========================================================================================

Thats about it. My rant is over for today. If this does not raise Lazarus, then nothing will. ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:24:12 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »

Thats about it. My rant is over for today. If this does not raise Lazarus, then nothing will. ::)

There will be no hell raising here because I agree with just about everything you said........HA!!!
But seriously..................I do agree :)

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: '
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »
Cough, cough, some disagreement from my perspective.
"Another problem is the filibuster in the Senate. It was created to give the minority party the ability to slow
down and stop legislation by the majority. However, the number of threats of filibuster have almost tripled
where each and every proposed bill is subjected to the 60 vole overrule unlike the House where a simple 50%
plus 1 is all it takes to pass a motion. We now have a Legislature that is posing and preening instead of
legislating, problems like Soc Sec, medicare, Health care, the economy , jobs seem to be going nowhere."

The purpose of the filibuster was to ensure that significant and meaningful legislation that was going to impact every Americans life, was to be passed by a true consensus and not merely a simple majority. The Senate was meant to be a thoughtful deliberating body, originally 2/3 votes were needed to kill a filibuster, this really was meant to be ensure only true consensual legalisation would be enacted.

"Another problem is districts for the purpose of electing State and National Officials. Both parties create
nice safe districts ,so that only the most liberal or the most conservative people can get nominated and elected. What we need is some impartial way to restructure districts so that moderate folks from both parties
can be elected. How this is to be done with out politicizing the process is beyond me."

True to only an extent. Some states or commonwealth this is more so. Compare Massachusetts with Texas, they pretty much are opposite in numbers of registered voters of each party, yet in Texas the parties of elected legislators are fairly  representative of the percentage of those registered voters, yet in Massachusetts one party is far more represented than other and until recently was the only party represented at the Federal level for many years.

"The problem with the Supreme Court is that neither side seems to be able to judge the merits of any case
without preconceived opinions and expansive extensions beyond long established law. Sure Plesy Vrs Furgeson
required a massive change but that was to end legal bondage of a large portion of our population in segregated areas. Brown Vrs The School Board ended schools dictated by the color of ones skin. There is a time for an active Court and a time for a more modest Court, in rulings and the Justices must grow beyond
politics to know the difference between the two , when one or the other is appropriate."

The real issue with the judicial branch has become one of an oligarchy . This goes beyond the US Supreme Court, but increasingly courts are telling the other two branches not so much what they can not do, but more so what they must do, that is dictating what legislation they must encact. This is completely outside the scope of the intended separation of powers of each branch.

"
 The poisoning of the political pool with money, has made it almost impossible for talented folks with good
intentions from being nominated and elected."

Money has always been both a component and issue of all and any political system. The so called campgain finance reform that at be enacted4d not only was a total disregard of free speech protected under the Constitution, but it was a mechanism that pretty much ensrued the reelection of the incumbents, making it difficult for a well funded opposition.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:57:31 PM by walmann »
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009