Author Topic: Early report on the Long Beach Coin Show! Thursday  (Read 2136 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Early report on the Long Beach Coin Show! Thursday
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
I arrived just before the show opened and there was a line of over 100 collectors waiting to get their passes
to get into the show. I would say that the number of collectors at the show was heavier then it has been at
the prior few shows. People seemed to be buying but it appeared to be coins of a lower cost. I tested a number
of smaller dealers with a selection of MS-66 Barber quarters and MS-66 Ike Dollars of rarer dates. I got a number of excuses why they were not interested, but my instinct told me that money was tight and they
would buy only those specific coins that they felt they could turn quickly. I then went to some of the top,
well funded companies and they purchased the quality coins at top prices. The easiest sale was to Pinnacle
and the transaction must of taken all of two minutes to receive my check.

Wayne Henderson was not at the show even though his name appeared with his table number. Apparently,
storms in the East, must have made his flight impossible to schedule to get to the show in time. I sold one o
coin back to Rick Tomaska and he too offered a buy back price that was more then fair. In general though
many dealers seemed extremely selective in what they were willing to buy.Regardless of a number of dealers
who may report a great show and they may well have had a great show individually, is appeared to be pretty
much the same old routine of steady to soft prices. Of course, Gold dropping 45 dollars an ounce and the
DOW dropping 267 points may have had something to do with the dealer melancholy mood.

Since I was at the show for only two hours, on opening, other later reports may well tell a different story.
Perceptions of a coin show are a little like a committee of blind men trying to describe an elephant by touch
alone. Depending if one is buying or selling or what type of coins one is interested in and what grade can
determine what one evaluates a show as being. All in all, I would say the show seemed better then the
recent past, but nothing to write home about , at least to my eyes.

As for the Goldberg Auction, quality sold well. In fact Laura bought three of my coins, she missed out on my
1911 Proof Barber Quarter because she stopped bidding too soon. Interesting because I bought the 4 coins
from Legend. I guess that Laura and I just seem to like the same kind of coins in the mid range price.

:D :D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:14:22 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Early report on the Long Beach Coin Show! Thursday
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »
Thanks for the report bear. It does sound like the same ol' same ol'
for the Long Beach show.

I wanted to go today but got bogged down with paper work.
I am going tomorrow to submit my coins to both NGC and PCGS.

Also looking forward to meeting Don Willis as he said he will look at my Kennedy's
and tell me in his opinion if they are AT. If wiggles back and forth like a fish(as I believe he will)
 I shall pass and go to NGC and see what they have to say :)

When I get back I will give my impression of the turn out and money movement ;)

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • Scottish Coinage and Beauties on Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
Ask Don if we have to pay to post on CU :D

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 07:36:50 PM »
Ask Don if we have to pay to post on CU :D

I want to get my coins graded first then I will ask :D

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »
It would be unfortunate, but I would not be surprised if the heavy rain in S.Calif puts a damper
on collector turn out on Friday and Saturday. Tat would turn a so/so show more to the bad side.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 11:12:26 PM »
Well, I arrived kind of late. After 11:30am.
Rushed over and tried to speak to Mr. Willis regarding my toned Kennedy's and as expected vague
and about as clear as a snow storm. But I expected nothing much better that that.

For some reason everything we meet he is not exactly happy to meet me :HMMMMM;

I was really tempted to ask him about his plans for the CU forum but thought now that I submitted
over 30 coins. now may not be the time :0

They were busy with people submitting and getting ready for there promo tv add.

Went and dropped off a bunch of tokens 20-30 of them. NGC table was dry as a desert.
I had all of them to myself.

When all was submitted I proceeded to take a look around.Stopped by at the guy's at CRO and a few others that I know. They all had pretty much what's on there site and very little action.
Maybe it was a bad time that I stopped by or maybe it was lunch time but everything seamed quite.

It could have been the rains that kept everyone from going as well......who knows.

I did see many dealers buying, but not very high end material and most had what they bought at the past few auctions over the last week for sale at their tables. Didn't even take of the stickers :D

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »
I do believe that 2010 will be much as 2009 for coins. Somewhat steady, sluggish with a slight
downward bias. There will be a certain percentage of folks that will have lots of money, but for
us tiny sardines things will continue to be difficult and money tight.