Author Topic: Show report, 2/14/10  (Read 2128 times)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Show report, 2/14/10
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »
So we made the long drive this morning to the Charlotte NC coin show, as I haven't been to this show before and figured I'd give it a look.  The 4-5" of snow we had Friday night had melted so travel was fine.  We arrived at opening time, and there were only a few people early but it filled up after about an hour. I'd estimate nearly a eighty buyers by the time I was heading back out the door. I didn't see much buying, but I really didn't pay much attention to what others were doing.  I saw a lot of world coins, compared to other shows I had attended.  There were tons of notes, but I kept my attention to my core interests. The fact that prices seemed to be double of what I have found online didn't go over well with me, so I ended up leaving with only a cheapie, as I have decided that empty-handed wasn't any fun at all. 

It was a nice little show, but a good deal of the prices seemed too high for what they were selling. 

My cheap crusty pickup-

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Show report, 2/14/10
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:07:39 PM »
Filthy, you should realize that dealers will always charge more when they have to pay to have their driveway shoveled so they can get to the show.

I'm going to check out the Florida Collectorama Coin & Currency Show in Lakeland this weekend. It will be the first time there for me, but at least shoveling driveways won't be a factor.

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »
Hope you have better luck than I did.  I enjoyed browsing the 100+ tables that were set up, but didn't find much that struck me.  There was a pine tree shilling that was nice (we don't see those around here very often), but I didn't even ask the price on that one.  I bet if I had done a little research on paper money beforehand, I'd probably have picked something up. 

Let us know how the Lakeland show turns out.

Offline Swampboy

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
"I have decided that empty-handed wasn't any fun at all."

I know the feeling.
I hit a small show saturday and was leaving empty handed when this caught my eye in a box of 'price as marked' Peace dollars.
I guess you could call it my first VAM such as it is. It set me back $25 which is prolly all it's worth.

It was fun researching it and I think it's a 1922-D VAM 2AU

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »

That's pretty cool, Swampboy.  I think you did great for $25, looks lustrous. 

I have been getting interested lately in WWII and the third reich and figured it was time I looked at some German coins. Plus, I love edge lettering, that was a bonus.