Author Topic: I am brand new at coin collecting, help me go down the right path  (Read 1741 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Lets say someone was brand new at collecting. They love "Modern coins, World coins and Old  Coins".
Do not know the first thing about the different type coins but like the big "silver round ones"  :)
The Copper ones look nice too, but then again they all look nice to me.

I don't have a ton of money, I'm in college and working part time.

They seen the plain "white" and with some kind of "tarnish" on them, should I clean the tarnish off of them??
But I  kinda think they look neat! What should I do?

Also, what books would you suggest reading?

Where should I buy my coins? I see a lot on Ebay but haven't really seen them anywhere else.

Tell me how you would help this person get started on the right path to collecting so he won't get overwhelmed and loose interest :)

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
Re: I am brand new at coin collecting, help me go down the right path
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
Collecting coins seems to be about coin collecting, but that is only the surface. This is "history you can hold in your hand."  If something about the coins and banknotes, etc., is not more compelling, then you might not find enough to hold your interest.  For most it is the history, the times and places, the people and events.  It could be the industrial processes of minting and printing.  Whatever it is for you, the collectibles themselves (coins, banknotes, tokens) will support that.  Without that support, the "stuff" will not interesting for very long -- and ultimately, you will find yourself paying way too much for things of little value that bring you no happiness and which no one else wants either.

1.  Find a local club, at least one, and join and attend meetings. Ask questions.  Listen to others talk.

2.  Find a good discussion board, small and community-oriented with good moderators and no flames and a good database of factual articles on the front page.

3.  We say, "Buy the book before you buy the coin."  Go to the library and go to your local Big BookStore.  Borrow and browse until you are ready to buy the books that reflect your interests.  (Your librarian can borrow other books for you, such as the ones in the bookstore until you are ready to own them for yourself.)

4.  When you begin buying, only buy from dealers who are members of the American Numismatic Association.  (Goto the homepage www.money.org and on the left under Membership find the Dealer Search and find the ones near you.)  Know them when they come to your local coin club shows and your local society conventions.

5.  Perhaps the "Zeroeth" Rule (before number 1) is join the American Numismatic Association.  Take their correspondence courses.  Learn to grade like a professional. 

Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------