Author Topic: Update on the Legacy Collection  (Read 3615 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Update on the Legacy Collection
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
That half is wonderful, too wonderful to be true. I am somewhat

amazed that PCGS slabbed it. In any event, it is certainly scrumptious.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »
I saw the 2 posted also but I was doing a search using CoinFacts and ran upon them.
They are amazing for a Franklin and hard to believe but still beautiful and I guess marketable to a certain few ;)

Offline Sonorandesertrat

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »
The pattern of the toning on that Franklin looks quite artistic, particularly how colors seem to radiate from Franklin's nose.  Not good.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »
The pattern of the toning on that Franklin looks quite artistic, particularly how colors seem to radiate from Franklin's nose.  Not good.

What realty strikes me to wonder is that there are 2 almost exactely the same.
Were they end roll coins? At MS 66 I hardly think that?
Were they stored in identical situations? It would have to be so.
But how were they stored? In what they were stored in?

I guess I'm derailing the original thread so I won't comment anymore
regarding that particular Franklin. I only posted it because bear mentioned
adding on to his collection.......maybe

So I did it more as a joke but I will leave my thoughts out  regarding
the toning and really can't say unless it's in hand examination,which will never happen  ;)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 01:29:08 AM »
I am negotiating on several major, unbelievable, beautiful coins and should have something

to report in 7-10 days. If all goes well, it should be rather astounding. :)

If you love toned coins, you will just go crazy over these coins, I promise you.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:30:08 AM by bear »

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
I am negotiating for a truly monstrous toned Roosevelt dime as well as a semi key date, toned

Mercury Dime. I have purchased, or at least placed a down payment on one of Rick Tomaskas

monster Franklin Half MS-67 FBL coins. The 1958-D Half c FBL, If you look on the PCGS  COINFACTS, you

will find a picture of the coin as the MS-67 plate coin. It is the reverse that is staggering in its beauty.

I also have a number of strong bids in at the Heritage Auction scheduled for the ANA show in August.

Some are toned some are not. I know purists do not like dipped snow white coins, but sometimes,

you find such a coin with much of the original skind and superb luster intact. Further, one can see the

full artistic design of the coin. Who knows what the coin collecting public will like in 10 - 15 years. The

collection will have a little of something for everyone, but the toned coins will be the true eye poppers and

WOW COINS.

A number of coins will be deleted from the collection in the next day or two. Not that there is

anything wrong with the coins, it is just that some do not seem to be good candidates for price appreciation,

also I thought that I had too many white coins as well as some series that seemed over represented. Once

this cleansing has taken place, I would expect, it to be clear sailing for the collection. I have noted that a number

of fine Numismatists have given me their opinions as to the individual coins in the collection. I have truly appreciated

them for taking the time to offer me their advice and opinions. While I am not necessarily in agreement with everything,

a large number of there suggestions were seriously considered and account for a number of the coin deletions. When one

can accept serious opinions from serious coin collectors, then that is a sign of growth and understanding that is so essential

to any collector, both newbie and advanced collectors. It is the smart people that can listen to the advise of other smart people

that they admire and respect. Tom B and Realone, are two such people and I thank them both, for their kind assistance and input

in the formation and direction of the collection.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:25:09 PM by bear »

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 01:42:02 AM »
ALL DELETIONS MADE AND ALL NEW COINS ADDED.

SOME OF THE PICTURES WI;LL BE ADDED IN ABOUT

10 DAYS.THEY ARE BEING PHOTOGRAPHED NOW.

The new Franklin Half is spectacular.

The mercury dime aint too shabby either
and a semi key date to boot.

Of course, the Roosevelt Dime purchased from Stefanie,
Is kinda cute and sexy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:00:52 PM by bear »

Offline kaz

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
Glad to see you're putting some dimes in the set!

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
In addition to additions in the gold section and the classical type, I have decided to place representative

coins of high grade and spectacular color, for the Mercury dimes, Roosevelt dimes, Washington Quarters

as well as Kennedy and Franklin Halves. The collection should be a rainbow of colors and not all sterile

white coins. I have nothing against nice white coins, it is just that the toned coins are the coins, that truly

take ones breath away. :)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »
In addition to additions in the gold section and the classical type, I have decided to place representative

coins of high grade and spectacular color, for the Mercury dimes, Roosevelt dimes, Washington Quarters

as well as Kennedy and Franklin Halves. The collection should be a rainbow of colors and not all sterile

white coins. I have nothing against nice white coins, it is just that the toned coins are the coins, that truly

take ones breath away. :)

I could not agree any more with you bear. My heart belongs to toned coins :Beatingheart;

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:35:17 AM by coinsarefun »