Author Topic: If you don't collect what I collect ....................................  (Read 3572 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
There is something wrong with you.That is the feeling some of us get on other Forums. Just because a person collects copper
 instead of of gold and silver, does not make them any less of a collector. We as kindred souls,

should rejoice in the little treasures obtained by modest collectors as well as the humungous  gems

collected by Numismatic Whales. What is important is to share the collectors joy and not cast down upon them the

typical snotty  collector attitude, that only 10,000 coins make one worth while. That is one of the many reasons I

like this Forum, It may not be as active as some others, but it is respectful of all its Forum Members, and

all differences of opinion are polite and easygoing. We are all here to spend some relaxing time and refresh

ourselves from the  grind of our every day struggle to survive. So post away here and be assured, all will be

treated in the manner that will allow all to relax and spend some quiet and pleasant time on our hobby.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:35:07 PM by bear »

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Anyone who reads this post and does not make a comment, the bear is going to come to your home and nibble some on your leg..

or arm, what ever is tastier.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:54:56 PM by bear »

Offline kaz

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
I agree that a forum should be a relaxing place to visit.  I find that, in some fora, to post a coin that is (a)not top notch condition or (b) not an official US mint issue (think: hard times tokens, CWT's, obscure merchant tokens) is to risk thinly veiled ridicule, or worse, the cold shoulder.  The relentless push for the "top pop," the "rip," the investment grade gem, overwhelm anything else, in the minds of some collectors.   A posting of a  somewhat porous 1810 large cent, for instance,  could lead to a discussion of why so many cents of the era are like that, or what was happening in 1810, or spin off into stories of some famous copper collectors, but will typically elicit only comments of "save your money for a better quality piece" or no comment at all. 
     I have some nice coins, a few really nice coins, and a lot that are far from perfect but represent interesting parts of our collective history.  Discussions that go beyond just the grade or value of a piece are interesting, educational, and promote collegiality.  That's what I would like to see more of on numismatic discussion fora.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
I have always thought that the token pieces from the Civil War or as the

good folks in the South refer to it as, The War for Southern Independence,

is a most facinationg chapter in our coinage or what passed as coinage in that

period. It opens the door to a fascinating history tour during our Nation's

greatest peril. No opposing armies could show more skill , bravery and

downright stubbornness then having Americans all, on both sides.At the

early stages of the war, the south had the majority of field grade officers,

West Point trained, with experience in the recent war with Mexico. They had

the finest horse soldiers  and leadership and of course they had Robert E Lee.

On the union side, the soldiers were equal in every way but one, that lack was

military Leadership at the top and in the Army of the Potomic. McClellan was

an able organizer, but was not an energetic and creative leader. Then we had

a string of lesser generals, Fighting Joe Hooker, Burnside, as well as a few

others, that General Lee could and would out general. The advantages

that the North had were manpower, a large an efficient industrial base as well

as a trained and experienced navy. Of course the presence of President

Lincoln, was the foundation that would not yield ,until the War brought

forward the victorious Generals, Grant, Sherman , Sheridan and Mead.

With the telling of the Tale of the War in broad strokes,For part 2, will someone

give a broad view on the reason for the so called cents and why they were

needed in commerce by both sides.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:05:40 PM by bear »