Author Topic: Went to the book store yesterday and found a great US pattern book  (Read 3038 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Oh, boy...............look out, may have to sell some stuff soon!!!:Funny;

I have been toying around with the idea of getting just a few patterns.
I love the site http://www.uspatterns.com/I visit often

But, I wanted a book to read, to actually flip through the pages and gawk at them while drinking my coffee:)

So, does anyone else have this book or any opinions on this book?
So far it reads very well.

a short write up on it:

By J. Hewitt Judd, M.D., edited by Q. David Bowers. Pattern Coins rare, mysterious, and beautiful.
These seldom-seen experimental pieces illustrate the trials, struggles, and backstate intrigue that preceeded som
many of the U.S. Mint's regular-issue coins.
Q. David Bowers offers a fascinating inside look at the history, rarity, and market values of America's rarest coins.
Hardcover, Full Color, 352 Pages.AuthorJ. Hewitt Judd, M.DPub Date 2009Binding HardcoverSize 6x9Pages 352

Offline Wil2008

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Went to the book store yesterday and found a great US pattern book
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
 :agree;        You should sell some stuff!!!   :LOL;   Waiting for the opportunity.     :3dancingsmiley;

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »
Hi, Stef...

:signcool;    That looks like a great book for you, even if you only look at the pictures.   :D

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »
There are some great patterns, but a very pricey addiction those can be.

Collecting Conder Tokens are the equivalent to collecting from pocket change when compared to many of the prices paid for obtaining patterns.
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
Hi, Stef...

:signcool;    That looks like a great book for you, even if you only look at the pictures.   :D

How did you know???? Who told you??? Now the secret is out that I only buy books and magazines for the pictures and not the articles :Funny; :))

Offline RHM22

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 07:27:13 AM »
There's a great (but dated) book on U.S. patterns available for free on Google Books. I'll see if I can find it and post a link. It's really pretty interesting, given it's age.

On another note, world patterns can be purchased on the cheap. Some, in fact, sell for as little as $10 with a mintage of less than 1,000. They just don't hold the same allure to me, however, as U.S. and 19th century European patterns do. Unfortunately, I don't own a single pattern at present.