Author Topic: What really is considered Old West coinage.....  (Read 3730 times)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: What really is considered Old West coinage.....
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 06:20:51 AM »
Welcome aboard, Chris! :Welcome;

That's interesting that they would ship bullion overseas to save money, I hadn't heard this before.  Could it have really been cheaper this way?  I would think that the risk was much higher of total loss on that sort of venture.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
Actually, the ocean route was about the same distance to England as it was to the eastern U.S. because once you rounded the easternmost part of South America the ships had to head northwest to reach the Chesapeake Bay. The biggest risk for the ocean voyage to the eastern U.S. was sailing in and around the Caribbean where piracy was still common even in those days. Piracy wasn't as much of a concern in the wide-open waters of the Atlantic enroute to England. (Note: I learned this on the History Channel.)

If you want to read a pretty good account about the silver production in the west, you might want to get a copy of "The Crime of 1873 - The Comstock Connection" by Robert Van Ryzin. It can be a little "slow" as reading goes because the author constantly inserts historical documents and quotes, but it is loaded with a ton of historical information.

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »
Hi Chris, great info and  :Welcome; aboard!!

Stefanie

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
Thanks, Stef!

Where does one go to get a beer around here? :LOL; I noticed that you don't have the little "ROFL guy" or an "OFF TOPIC" sign, but seriously, while I have your attention....................

I was looking for an FAQ or something on posting photos. Is your procedure similar to VAMWorld in that you must enter the photo into an archive before you can post it? Or, is it similar to NGC where you can post it directly from the source?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to post full-coin images for the time being because my software program became corrupted and had to be removed, but I do have some microphotography images that I would like to share with others.

Thanks!

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
What really is considered Old West coinage.....
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 05:22:17 PM »
Welcome aboard,Chris!

Aidan.