Author Topic: 1964-D Peace Dollar Overstrike  (Read 3683 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
1964-D Peace Dollar Overstrike
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »
Could  prove to be quite an interesting coin

From Daniel Carr's website  http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallionsaleprice-1.aspx

The 1964-D Peace silver dollar is one of the most enigmatic coins in history. On August 3 1964 legislation was enacted authorizing 45 million new silver dollars to be coined. In May 1965 the White House finally ordered some to be produced and the Denver Mint soon minted 316,076 of the coins which carried a 1964 date and a design identical to the Peace silver dollar last minted from 1921-1935. Shortly after the first mintage, an order went out to destroy them. The Treasury Department claims every one was accounted for and melted. None have publicly surfaced in the 45 years since. If an original 1964 Peace silver dollar were to turn up, it would be subject to immediate confiscation since it would be assumed to be stolen government property.

Now available is this modern over-strike "1964-D" Peace silver dollar, the most exacting and faithful rendition ever produced. Holding this coin in hand gives the viewer a true sense of what it would be like to own an original 1964-D Peace silver dollar. And since these are over-struck on genuine Peace silver dollars, they have the correct weight (no metal is added or removed), correct metallic content, and correct diameter. Even the number of reeds on the edge (189) is correct. And to top it off, all the over-strikes are privately and painstakingly performed using a surplus Denver Mint coin press !

In an ironic twist, the original 1964 Peace dollars are illegal to own. But this modern fantasy is LEGAL and is not required to carry a "COPY" stamp for the following reasons:

1) These are not copies of Peace silver dollars - they are privately over-struck on GENUINE government-issue Peace silver dollars that were originally minted from 1922-1935.
2) According to the US Treasury, no 1964 Peace silver dollars survived - so this can't be a copy of one since they don't exist.
3) Defacing of US coins is legal so long as the defacement isn't for fraudulent purposes.

By purchasing one or more of these coins, the buyer agrees to provide full disclosure of their origin when reselling them. Failure to provide potential buyers with complete and accurate information when offering these coins could result in criminal and/or civil fraud charges. In other words, don't even think about trying to sell these to unaware buyers as original 1964-D Peace silver dollars !

The pictures accurately show what the coins look like. No photo editing was performed. There may be subtle differences between coins. Since they are over-struck on existing coins, there may be faint evidence of the original coin design showing since the overstrike is usually not perfectly aligned with the original strike. The "D" mint mark was intentionally punched far to the left and then corrected. This provides a marker for future identification as to the source. Also note the fourth extra ray below "ONE", as seen on the original 1921 issue and on some of the 1935-S issue.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:38:33 PM by coinsarefun »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: 1964-D Peace Dollar Overstrike
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:44:30 PM »
How does it differ from so many Chinese-based counterfeits that are being made?  (Besides the disclaimer that he provides, that is)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:12:26 PM by coinsarefun »
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Deagle74

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:46:04 PM »
Vau Stefanie - have read an article about 1964 Peace dollar in COINage magazine. And this idea is just stunning  ???
But as I'm familiar with Uncle Sam mentality (and as a lawyer myself)- the State will not turn a blind eye on this :). Too risky to let the ghost out of the bottle (literary)
Keep us posted  ;D

Rok

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 04:20:46 PM »
How does it differ from so many Chinese-based counterfeits that are being made?  (Besides the disclaimer that he provides, that is)

Hey!  How'd you do that?  My post was modified.    ???

This was added - In my opinion it differs, maybe because he is known for fantasy coins. Yes, there is no "copy" stamped on it, but it doesn't really need one
since the coin was never  made.

I look at it like a pattern coin or a fantasy coin. Either way it still is kinda cool.....IMO

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
.. But in response to that, there was talk of the 1964 existing at one time.  Wouldn't that alone make this a prime tool for fraudulent resale?  I can see it now -

Ebay listing  -

L@@K!!!!  Uber-rare 1964 Peace dollar found in my Grandmother's knitting basket.  (I assume no responsiblity for it's authenticity, as I'm not a coin professional.)

:(

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 05:12:51 PM »

In my opinion it differs, maybe because he is known for fantasy coins. Yes, there is no "copy" stamped on it, but it doesn't really need one

I look at it like a pattern coin or a fantasy coin. Either way it still is kinda cool.....IMO

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »

Hey!  How'd you do that?  My post was modified.    ???

This was added - In my opinion it differs, maybe because he is known for fantasy coins. Yes, there is no "copy" stamped on it, but it doesn't really need one

Sorry about that (hail)) I forget I have the capability to modify and the first tab to click is modify instead of quote :(

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
Vau Stefanie - have read an article about 1964 Peace dollar in COINage magazine. And this idea is just stunning  ???
But as I'm familiar with Uncle Sam mentality (and as a lawyer myself)- the State will not turn a blind eye on this :). Too risky to let the ghost out of the bottle (literary)
Keep us posted  ;D

Rok

I must admit I like controversy :Funny;
It brightens my day and I think this will bring at the very least
attention to the story behind the 1964 Peace dollar.
Legal or not, I think it will make for some good reading ;)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »

Sorry about that (hail)) I forget I have the capability to modify and the first tab to click is modify instead of quote :(

Oh, so that was you! ;)  I wondered what happened.  In fact, I had to read it twice to remember if I posted it myself.  No big deal, really. :)

I agree that it makes for some interesting reading over on CU.  I don't like the fact that he made these, but that's just my opinion.  What's to stop him from making other examples of U.S. coins?  I personally don't know every date for every coin made, and I can see where someone could be easily deceived by a coin with altered date or mintmark.  You really have to know your stuff to never get deceived by fakes or altered coins.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »
Once again, quoted from his site, may help but doubtful if an inexperienced collector
would be able to decipher the difference.

What would be cool is that each should be different because it is stuck over an existing Peace
dollar. It may look cool if you see a faint double struck look ;D

Since they are over-struck on existing coins, there may be faint evidence of the original coin design showing since the overstrike is usually not perfectly aligned with the original strike. The "D" mint mark was intentionally punched far to the left and then corrected. This provides a marker for future identification as to the source. Also note the fourth extra ray below "ONE", as seen on the original 1921 issue and on some of the 1935-S issue.