Author Topic: This Morgan came back for Damage, Tooling, Machine Damege  (Read 1729 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
This Morgan came back for Damage, Tooling, Machine Damege
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »
I don't see the problem, can someone else see it and explain
what I am missing :HMMMMM;

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: This Morgan came back for Damage, Tooling, Machine Damege
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
Could it have something to do with the gouges on the eagle's breast. The lower one looks like someone may have tampered with it to try to make it look better. Just a guess!

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »
Could it have something to do with the gouges on the eagle's breast. The lower one looks like someone may have tampered with it to try to make it look better. Just a guess!

Chris

You may have a point there, never saw it until I posted the large images ;) :smack;

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »

You think they're just being tough on this one? I still don't really see the issue.  That mark just looks to me like a hit, or am I missing something? The only thing I saw that I would question was the marking or rub behind the cap on the obverse.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline rrantique

• Full Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
Well I don't see anything that would prevent this coin from grading. The contact hit on the breast  would certainly take point hit (pun) . I can see a MS 63 here.  Sorry Stef. :(
Irvin

Offline Rigos_Place

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
  • 'DA MAN
    • Collectors Unleashed
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »
I am by no means an expert but I have done studies on tooling of coins on the most desirable coins such as the Morgan and busts. From what I see (not easy to spot) I see evidence of tooling on the nose. If you look closely, who ever worked on the coin in question, added some extra silver (I think) to either straighten the nose or fill the outline. Obviously failing and giving the nose a "pimple" effect instead.

The other damages I see are natural to me and seem to be hits from been in the canvas, just like the toning (IMO). I added the coin in question with another one so you can compare the nose difference and a link to some information on tooling of a coin and what to look for in some cases.

http://home.comcast.net/~reidgold/draped_busts/page_7.html

Offline LotsoLuck

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »
Not easy to tell from the pictures but I have to wonder who would bother to doctor a common date Morgan (thats assuming its a P?)  You would know best as you have it in hand.   :HMMMMM;

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:36:31 PM »
Hi Stef,
I can't wait till I have more time to explore this site.
Nine times out of ten when you see tooling done on a coin like this more common date coin, it is an attempt to correct a problem. Tooling on a major piece done by a knowledgeable MD may be to improve a coin by deepening hairlines, or maybe playing with the date or devices.
On this one I bet an attempt was made at some point to lessen some bag marks or maybe remove some minor graffiti. This type of tooling is usually seen as a different toning pattern area on the coin, or a flat/dull looking area. The field behind the cap on the obverse looks a little different in the pics - it may not in hand but look closer at that area. Her cheek also looks to have a dull spot where a bag mark or hit may have also been played with. And as mentioned the nose is sure a funky one on this piece also. On the reverse just next to the left wing facing is a real questionable area also. Looks like the result of someone trying to remove something on the surface and this changed the metal lines which led to the weird toning area - a sure sign of boinking.
Beautiful rims on this one.
The machine damage/damage is probably the hits on the birds breast. One would have passed muster, but the two will not.
Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline jesbroken

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:51:58 PM »
Hats off to you all, I believe I may have actually learned something. Great post Stephanie, sorry your coin was the example. Someone may have been practicing with this coin before they attempted a larger more valuable date. Thanks to all.
Jim
Jim

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »
Hats off to you all, I believe I may have actually learned something. Great post Stephanie, sorry your coin was the example. Someone may have been practicing with this coin before they attempted a larger more valuable date. Thanks to all.
Jim

Hi Jim, glad to see you made it here :party: