Author Topic: Papal Medals  (Read 19951 times)

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Papal Medals
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »
I haven't added to this thread in a while.
Here is a more modern piece. This is a Pope Leo XIII papal medal in silver.
It is struck with the year 1900 in Roman numerals MCM on the reverse. The obverse depicts Pope Leo facing right while the reverse depicts the opening of the holy door in the Anno Santo/Holy Year issue of 1900. As mentioned earlier this occurs once every 25 years on the hundred, 25, 50 and 75th years of each century.
It looks like there was a little indecision on the punching of the reverse lettering and even if the medal was to be struck
with ROMA or ROME. I will have to research this one further or would appreciate if anyone could share some info on this.
Although this one is modern, only a little over 100 years old, I am not sure if the detail is any better on this piece vs a piece hundreds of years older.

Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
While discussing more modern pieces, here is another Anno Santo year Papal medal.
This is Pope Paul VI 1975. This medal is a prooflike silver example with flashing mirrored surfaces and is about the size of a US silver dollar. The obverse depicts Pope Paul VI in full tiara while the reverse depicts another version of the opening of the Holy Door. 
I have often felt and said that more modern pieces, whether they be medals or minted coinage, have given up a lot of detail in order to produce dies that will stand up to multiple striking in order to extend the life of the dies and be able to produce more pieces more quickly.
While I see the logic, I mourn the loss of detail and depth of fields these shallower designs offer. This is one of the main reasons my collecting tendencies usually lean toward more classic US coinage as well as classic medals. Just look at the difference in the artistry able to be shown in these 2 renditions of papal tiara's,  the Pope Pius piece designed and struck approximately 100 years earlier than the Pope Paul piece.

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
I haven't posted to this thread in a while.
Here is a Pope Pius IIII (1560-1565) medal
The obverse shows the Bust of Pius IIII, facing right., bareheaded, wearing cope.
The reverse shows an armed female figure, sometimes identified as Minerva, but probably ROMA, amidst piles of riches and military trophies. This is a Mazio restrike from the late 18th to early 19th century.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 01:53:48 AM »
Nice one JRocco. How many Papal Medals do you have :smiley-signs002:

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 08:14:13 PM »
Thanks Stef.
I believe I have between 30 and 35. A few I have are in SB's that I  have yet to image, and I think I have a few more images on discs. Now if I only knew where all those discs are :smack;
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:09:15 PM by JRocco »

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 08:29:39 AM »
You have one of the most interesting Papal medal collections. I like the history and the knowledge you share with all of us. Thanks.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline rrantique

• Full Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
 Glad NGC got that straightened out John. [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
Irvin

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »
Thanks regandon, I really appreciate that.
I am glad also Irvin.
We have to think that we are only a small sliver of the collector base and this hobby will go on long after we are gone. A mistake like NGC made would have consequences for a long time to come and for some potential young collectors to get burned without realizing it. I am glad they are doing the right thing and I hope the word gets out there to collectors of this series before harm is done. I was  criticized for starting that post but it would have been wrong for me not to have posted it. Anyone who thinks differently is drinking too much Kool Aid and does not really care about this hobby, or numismatics in general.
Here is a link to the thread if anyone is interested.
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4658726#Post4658726

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »
Thanks regandon, I really appreciate that.
I am glad also Irvin.
We have to think that we are only a small sliver of the collector base and this hobby will go on long after we are gone. A mistake like NGC made would have consequences for a long time to come and for some potential young collectors to get burned without realizing it. I am glad they are doing the right thing and I hope the word gets out there to collectors of this series before harm is done. I was  criticized for starting that post but it would have been wrong for me not to have posted it. Anyone who thinks differently is drinking too much Kool Aid and does not really care about this hobby, or numismatics in general.
Here is a link to the thread if anyone is interested.
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4658726#Post4658726

Its true NGC and PCGS gets their labels wrong sometimes. Mostly on World coins and Tokens, British and US tokens.
I think you did the right thing JRocco in posting it on the forum. It does inform the people what is going on and to tell
you the truth since I don't collect them, I would have been fooled!!

The people who say these kind of things would be writing a VERY different story if it was their series or if the collected Papal Medals.
Most of the ones I see there would have been screaming on the top of their lungs and writing all over every forum.

People only care what affects them......their pockets. If its someone else's they don't give a rat's arse >:(

So once again JRocco, I congratulate and commend you for bringing this to everyones attention :ThumbsUp;
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:01:32 PM by coinsarefun »

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »
Thank you Stef.
Your words here mean a lot to me.  :-*

I did not want to bash NGC as I really think they are a good company, but they did get this one wrong. When a company like NGC or PCGS has so much influence on the market they really need to get things like this right. They have the resources and knowledge available to them to avoid situations like this. It has always been a pet peeve of mine when some board members are so blinded by their desire to brown nose a company, they lose sight of the big picture. Kool Aid is a potent drink when drunk by some who put misplaced brand loyalty before the overall good of the hobby for us and future collectors.
If I wanted to bash NGC I would have posted that on the PCGS boards where quite a few would have put down NGC instead of giving them the chance to do the right thing. I would not post a PM, but NGC sure did step up on this one once they realized their error. They are now doing the right thing.

I can say that I have been contacted by quite a few true numismatists who appreciated the fact that this was brought to the public's attention and not just handled via PM's and let me say once again - I am really pleased that NGC did not bury this but instead acted in the collectors interest and did the right thing. It is not always easy to admit a mistake, especially on a public forum by such a strong company. I have a new found respect for NGC and am certain that they will have a strong presence in numismatics going forward because they do take pride in their company and are willing to put the hobby before their bottom line.

Thanks Stef and thank you NGC.