Author Topic: My new Stack's pickups arrived today.  (Read 3041 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
My new Stack's pickups arrived today.
« on: October 25, 2010, 06:45:05 PM »
Here are my images, and they are off to NGC for slabbing.

1860 J.N.T. Levick “Smoker" token. Miller NY 428

From the Q. David Bowers Collection; ex John Jay Ford, Jr. Collection; previously ex F.C.C. Boyd.

This token was voted for listing in The 100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens book

Massachusetts. Boston. Henry Cook Medal. Rulau Ma-Bo 19. Copper.

From the Q. David Bowers Collection.

Henry Cook, who would become one of America’s first rare coin dealers, was born in Abington, MA, in 1821, a seventh-generation Mayflower descendant.
 He moved to Boston when he was 16 years old and gained employment with a company in the export trade. At the age of 21 he was sent to South America to
 handle the firm’s interests on the west coast there. Later he served as mate aboard a sailing vessel which traded along that coast and with islands in the Pacific.

By the 1840s he was an avid coin collector.
In the 1850s he relinquished seafaring for the security of an on-land occupation in Boston, and entered the boot and shoe trade at 74 Friend Street.
 He was fond of looking through copper half cents and cents in circulation and picking out scarce dates which he displayed in a counter in his shoe shop.
 It seems that he was active in the rare coin business by the mid-1850s.

Circa 1862 he commissioned a selection of patriotic medals to be struck from his own designs, with dies by George H. Lovett.
In 1866, still located in his shoe shop-with-coins at 74 Friend Street, Cook advertised as: “Numismatist and antiquarian.
Rare and antique coins, medals, autographs, books, &c., bought, sold and exchanged.
Cabinets arranged and cataloged for public sale in Boston or New York. Also, purchases made at all the coin and book sales in either of the above mentioned cities, on commission.”
On April 6 of the same year he was elected treasurer at the founding meeting of the New England Numismatic and Archaeological Society.

In 1869 Cook issued a 12-page listing, Coin and Medal Circular, Containing a Few Remarks on the American Series of Coins and Medals. With a Little Brief Advice to the Inexperienced Collector.

1860 Abraham Lincoln No More Slave Territory Medal. Copper, 31mm. By Joseph H. Merriam. DeWitt AL 1860-38, King-576.

From the Q. David Bowers Collection; ex Captain Andrew C. Zabriskie Collection

Offline Conderluva

• Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: My new Stack's pickups arrived today.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:49:32 PM »
Ahhh, I love when the tokens finally arrive in the mail!
Great stuff Stef!!!
 :party:

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:29:10 AM »
That is a superlative J.N. T. Levick medal, Ma'am.

Wow, the provenance is outstanding, the medal unbelievably great,

The other pieces are very, very nice but it's hard to compete with your Smoker example.

Thanks for the great writeup.  : )))

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:56:04 AM by Larry »
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
Wow!  Those are nice!  :ThumbsUp;

Just curious, what different types of metals did they use to make the smoker tokens?
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:59:43 PM »
 :smiley-bounce016:
Wow!  Those are nice!  :ThumbsUp;

Just curious, what different types of metals did they use to make the smoker tokens?

Brass, which is the one pictured and silver. I have that one too, it's the one with all
the cut marks in it. The silver is more rare.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:05:23 PM »
Brass, which is the one pictured and silver. I have that one too, it's the one with all
the cut marks in it. The silver is more rare.

I was thinking that there was a silver one, but wasn't sure.  My memory isn't cooperating this evening.

Thanks for the info. :)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • Scottish Coinage and Beauties on Banknotes
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
I sure wish they would just ship stuff via express mail like most others do, they sent mine today via registered - so how long will it take?  If I really could live without what I bought, I would have not bought it in a Stack's auction. :1cussing;

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:15:01 PM »
Hey Stef,
Great tokens,
Check the 1860 Lincoln reverse at K6 for PVC. Looks like there might be some green showing in the leaves also - but that might be artifact colors.
If so a quick acetone hit should neutralize it, but be careful because acetone will effect copper negatively.
It might be verdigris, if so leave it alone.
Nice pick-ups

Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 11:27:15 PM »
Hey Stef,
Great tokens,
Check the 1860 Lincoln reverse at K6 for PVC. Looks like there might be some green showing in the leaves also - but that might be artifact colors.
If so a quick acetone hit should neutralize it, but be careful because acetone will effect copper negatively.
It might be verdigris, if so leave it alone.
Nice pick-ups

I checked it really well and it looks ok, so I sent it in to NGC for slabbing. Actually all three of them.
And after all it comes with David Q. Bowers pedigree.............He would never own one with PVC or verdigris on it ;) :D