Author Topic: FUN Submissions  (Read 3908 times)

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
FUN Submissions
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:50:11 PM »
Well, I saved myself about $60 or $70 in shipping & insurance by waiting to deliver 57 coins & medals to NGC at the show.

NGC now grades the ANA Convention medals, so I finally got to submit the 1969-1982 3-medal sets.

They have also expanded the list of VAM's they will attribute to include the "Hit List 40", and so I submitted an 1882-CC VAM-2C to reholder for the designation. Another reholder is a nice Morgan toner that I bought from Shane. He was ticked because he missed it, but it is a "Top 100".

I submitted my 2001-D Kennedy Missing the Reverse Clad Layer for reholder in the EdgeView slab. It was "cocked" in the old slab and didn't look good. For those of you who don't know, the EdgeView is now the standard issue for all coins and medals that will fit into it.

I also submitted 4 - 1964 Kennedy PF Accented Hair, FS-103, and a 1978 National Medal for NCS conservation and NGC grading. The National Medal is a silver proof that was authorized by Congress on behalf of the US Capitol Historical Society and was struck at the Philly Mint. It is the first of what is supposed to be 13 annual medals, but it is the only one that the USCHS had struck by the US Mint.

I guess the one that has me most anxious is a 10c copper blank. It isn't a planchet because it didn't go through the upsetting mill. I wasn't sure if NGC would agree that it was, in fact, a blank, but I see in Submission Tracking that it is scheduled for grading. I hope that means that they do agree with me.

I'll keep you posted.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:51:56 PM by cpm9ball »

The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: FUN Submissions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »
Please keeps posted. I would love to know :)

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 02:59:29 PM »
Well, the bad news is that NGC couldn't determine if it was a dime blank so it was returned unencapsulated. Bummer! All of the Morgans I submitted for grading came back exactly as I had expected, MS64, and the 1878 7TF which was slabbed AT. I was pretty sure that it was AT, but it was a freebie grading so there is no real loss.

The ANA medals are still waiting to be graded, and the coins submitted to NCS remain to be evaluated. They must be awfully busy at NCS.

Chris

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 05:06:15 PM »
Well, the bad news is that NGC couldn't determine if it was a dime blank so it was returned unencapsulated. Bummer! All of the Morgans I submitted for grading came back exactly as I had expected, MS64, and the 1878 7TF which was slabbed AT. I was pretty sure that it was AT, but it was a freebie grading so there is no real loss.

The ANA medals are still waiting to be graded, and the coins submitted to NCS remain to be evaluated. They must be awfully busy at NCS.

Chris

It takes forever and a day at NCS, bummer on the dime blank

Offline Rigos_Place

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
  • 'DA MAN
    • Collectors Unleashed
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
Well Chris, at least you saved some $$$ and didn't lose anything on that AT Morgan but it's a shame you didn't get that "dime" in a case. Better luck next time

Rigo

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »
Well Chris, at least you saved some $$$ and didn't lose anything on that AT Morgan but it's a shame you didn't get that "dime" in a case. Better luck next time

Rigo

Thanks! I guess the next segment of these submissions that has me anxious is the 4 - 1964 Kennedy AH's, FS-103, and the 1978 National Medal. Mostly, the medal. It was the first of a 13-medal series that the U.S. Capitol Historical Society planned to produce. According to the Director of the USCHS, this was the only one which was approved by Congress to be struck at the Philly Mint on behalf of the USCHS. Apparently, the others were produced by a private mint. Anyway, the 1978 medal was struck in silver proof, but it was not encased in a protective disk in its presentation case.  I took "before" photos, and am anxious to see the results of the conservation. These coins and the medal are now at NGC scheduled to be graded.

Chris