Author Topic: The Capped Bust Half Dollar 1807-1839  (Read 18558 times)

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: The Capped Bust Half Dollar 1807-1839
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
Speaking of 36's
Here is the  1836/1336 O-108 variety
The easiest PUP on this die variety is the 8 is cut over a 3 with the knob showing inside lower loop at left.
On the reverse, the lowest arrow shaft is broken, showing as a knob under the second claw and ā€œ50 Cā€ is high, and the ā€œ5ā€ has a sharply curved pointed top.
Sorry if the coin looks slightly out of round in my pics, the coin was really angled in the slab.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:41:06 PM by JRocco »
Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »
1820 is one of the keys in this series.
It has the third lowest mintage of the series even when the overdate is included. I posted an overdate earlier in the thread but would like to add an 1820 O-103,
Sorry the color balance on these pics is off, they are old pics. The coin has a nice color.
This marriage utilizes Obverse die 3 and Reverse die C
The date is punched low and the 2 has a small curled base and a small curled top while the 0 is large.
The reverse shows narrow A's that have small serifs at the base.While it may be a little hard to see in my pics, the second T in STATES has been punched over first attempt after it was punched in too low.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »
1820 is one of the keys in this series.
It has the third lowest mintage of the series even when the overdate is included. I posted an overdate earlier in the thread but would like to add an 1820 O-103,
Sorry the color balance on these pics is off, they are old pics. The coin has a nice color.
This marriage utilizes Obverse die 3 and Reverse die C
The date is punched low and the 2 has a small curled base and a small curled top while the 0 is large.
The reverse shows narrow A's that have small serifs at the base.While it may be a little hard to see in my pics, the second T in STATES has been punched over first attempt after it was punched in too low.

Very cool, thanks for posting that coin :smiley-cool11:

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »
Thanks Stef.
Here is another 1820, this one the O-108
This variety is known to have a very poor central obverse strike, and thus leads to some very erratic grading of this marriage. If you look for this one slabbed you have a good shot of scoring a very undergraded example for a very reasonable price. And for the price of 1820's that is a big deal. This one is in a 55 slab I believe and looks to be graded correctly. Notice how well the periphery/stars are struck on this example compared to the ear/clasp/hair detail. This variety uses a square bottomed curl top number 2.
1820's are easy to attribute because there are so few marriages, but an easy PUP on this one is star 5 is recut on the two lower inside points.
The reverse is interesting in and of itself. All 1820 O-108's are true die hubbed DDR's. The only doubled dies known in the series. The doubling is most easily seen on the lowest leaves and the birds talons.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »
I swear if you keep this up.........I will HAVE to get one really nice one, toned of course and start a type set 8)

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 07:48:15 AM »
There really are some attractive CBH's out there Stef. Just be careful, once the fever hits it's over.
Here is a beautiful coin that you have to use a little imagination to really see. This is almost a black and white rendition of this very colorful CBH. I took this pic years ago with a really cheap point and shoot camera. I had to unsaturate the pic because the colors were off, but this one is a real looker. Nice high grade for an 1819 too. Someday I will dig this one out of the SB and re-image her.
This one is the 1819 O-111
Notice that the distance between the 1 and the 8 is a little wider than the distance between any of the other numbers. Really must have been something to hand punch everything back in the day.

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »
I really like this coin, even though I couldn't get a good pic of it. It is a real nice gray with green poking thru the periphery. This is the 1809 O-109b R4.
Let me first show a couple of examples of the "a" die state. For those that may not follow this series, the "a" die state is an earlier state of the dies before they advanced, or in some cases deteriorated to the next, the "b" die state. Each die state has it's own rarity level, some with very different population numbers.
In the "a" die state there is the obvious crack thru AMERICA and what looks like raised segments between the letters that continue down past the last A and along the points of the arrowheads.

Here is the "b" die state. What separates the "b" die state from the "a" die state is on the reverse the die break thru AMERICA gets heavier and shows broken patches at the arrowheads, this crack extends along the base of 50C and then across the tips of the leaves to the edge below the wing tip. The crack extends along the legend to above the F in OF.

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »
The 1823 O-106a is an interesting die marriage.
The 1823 CBH's include some interesting variations on the number 3.
The most popular are the broken 3, the patched 3 and the ugly 3, as well as the perfect 3.
Well this one, the O-106a is known as the Tampered 3. In this die state the overly tall 3 has been modified to strengthen the joint connecting the top and bottom loops. Interesting stuff. I was really intrigued by this and wanted to study this coin in hand. I actually purchased and own a second O-106a to help with a comparison. This is an interesting die marriage in the CBH series.

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
Here is another neat variety, the 1818 O-105
This is the second and last usage of this obverse die and the third and last usage of this reverse die. Most specimens are not well struck.
Some easy PUPS on this marriage:
The stars on the left have points that vary widely in length, and there is a strong die crack through the top of star 12 on most examples.
An easy ID on this one shows triple segments on the reverse below the lowest leaves showing as one large dentil.
My example shows strong die clashing that actually shows the entire birds wing in the obverse field behind the head, showing of course reversed, upside down and inverted.

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
Here is the 1821 O-103
This coin utilizes the same reverse die that was used to strike the really tough to find 1820 O-107. That coin had a nice example graded AU58 sold in 2010 for a neat cool $30,000.00 with the juice. Boy I wish I owned an example of that variety.
Notice the reverse of this coin. The right serifs of the A's and the left serifs of the E's are missing.
There are also triple segments in the milling below the left pair of leaves.
These are poor pics of a nice coin.