The Capped Bust Half Dollar 1807-1839

Back
  • Reply #50   by bear on 25 May, 2011 17:25
  • I have long liked this series. Especially years ago, when you could buy AU-58 examples with the

appearance of a MS-64 and MS-65 with slight rub on the high points. At that time these coins were

under priced and under appreciated. It is truly among the truly beautiful series of coins.
  • Reply #51   by rrantique on 20 Sep, 2011 09:27
  • I agree Bear and J Has shown us a remarkable collection of this great series. [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
  • Reply #52   by JRocco on 03 Dec, 2011 20:04
  • Thanks Irvin.
    Yes Abe will surely be missed.
    Both Abe and his father were Pharmacists, as am I, and we both shared that same calling to give 110% to help those in need in our chosen profession. It was a bond we both felt strongly.
    Let me kick this thread back to life.
    Here is one that he liked.
    This is an 1812 O-105
    Look for the doubled dentil over the third A on the reverse.

• Reply #53   by RedHerring on 04 Dec, 2011 21:09
  • That's a sweet Bust Half and a nice tribute to Bear.  I'm sure he's smiling!   :)
  • Reply #54   by coinsarefun on 04 Dec, 2011 21:59
  • That's a sweet Bust Half and a nice tribute to Bear.  I'm sure he's smiling!   :)

I agree!

• Reply #55   by JRocco on 05 Dec, 2011 20:31
  • This is going to be hard trying to remember what I already posted, but I'll try.
    There were 13 die pairings for the 1823 CBH. I have posted a few but here is the O-103
    This variety shows a low date with a curled 3 that has a slight lean to the left and has a large indented centering dot on the obverse.
    The main PUP on the reverse is the second A has a defective right base which is notably higher than the M.

• Reply #56   by JRocco on 09 Dec, 2011 16:01
  • Here are 2 coins I purchased together from a CBH nut. These are the 1827 O-109 and the 1827 O-110. Both of these coins are listed as R4 varieties with 120-160 pieces known to exist. These 2 coins both share the same reverse die paired with 2 different obverses. The O-109 obverse die 6 utilizes a slender curled 2 with the serif being upturned, small sharp and slanted out toward the top of the 7 and on most pieces there are a series of raised die dots and ridges on the neck just below the ear. The obverse of O-110 utilizes obverse die 7 which shows large stars that are very sharp and very close to the milling with some points almost touching the dentils.
    Both coins use reverse die I which is characterized by the first 2 lines of stripes 1, 2 and 3 being unfinished and improperly joined at their lower ends to the shield. This gives a stair step appearance to the first 3 lines in the shield.
    1827 O-109

1827 O-110

• Reply #57   by JRocco on 11 Dec, 2011 10:30
  • Here is a cool and unique variety. The 1822 O-107 "Button Cap"
    The O-107 utilizes obverse 7 and is characterized by a button that can be seen at the folded down crown of her cap. This is only seen on this variety.
    The reverse, reverse F shows the words of the legend close together with only 1 mm separating the D-S, S-O and F-A at their closest points while all the letters are well separated.

• Reply #58   by JRocco on 13 Dec, 2011 18:34
  • Here is an 1830 O-115
    The obverse on this variety shows numerous diagonal die lines below bust, from date to star 1. The 3 is punched low. There is a raised elongated lump that shows on neck, left of curl.
    On the reverse the upper tail feather pierces the olive stem, forming a tiny knob. The 5 in 50C has an open loop, and a short straight V-shaped top. Stripes and crossbars are sharply struck, and the crossbars slant upwards to the right. Lines 1 & 2 of stripe 3, and line 2 of stripe 4, extend too far down.
    Pardon the old hazy plastic seen in the pics.

• Reply #59   by JRocco on 16 Dec, 2011 09:59
  • Here is another variety from 1827. This is the 1827 O-117
    Some characteristics of this die marriage are on the obverse the date is set high and there is a large curled “2” with a thick base. The thin stand of “2” is nearly broken off of base.
    On the reverse the C of 50C is higher than “50”, and “5” is recut, showing on left of upright. “MERI” nearly touch at the base.

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page: