How tough economic times impact coin collecting

Back
  • How tough economic times impact coin collecting   by bear on 29 May, 2011 19:23
  • Of course, when times are tough, many middle class collectors will tend to cut back on coin purchases

as limited economic resources are needed for more pressing family concerns. However a second phenomina

also occurs. Folk begin to demand more quality in the coins they buy. In any grade, there are A, B, and C coins,

The C coins are those at the very bottom , quality wise of the grade. They are the just made it, rather homely coins

that tend to drop in price and demand. Then you have the B coins. These are the solid, mid grade coins that

seem to pretty much hold their demand and price . In appearance, many are rather nice and are quite acceptable for

the grade. Then we have the A coins. These are coins in the upper third of the grade. As a rule, they get the + grade and

are quite beautiful, for the most part. These kinds of coins, always will be in reasonable demand and the price remain rather

strong, as the demand begins to pressure the available supply. If you reread the Thread on the bath tub analogy, these are the

coins that recover the fastest, are in the greatest demand and if their is a reduction in price, they lose the least. For any

mid to high grade,

the A coins, or Plus quality coins ,are always in strong demand as well they should be and will always be . Thus The B coins

tend to stay static, the A coins are strong and the C coins drop in value and demand.

Even in a period of economic stress, there is always money for the most beautiful and best quality of coins, in the mid to high grade.

Lower grade coins will remain soft to static at best.
  • Reply #1   by coinsarefun on 29 May, 2011 20:19
  • I agree on many levels bear.

Work has been slow but is starting to pick up, I have found myself waiting for better coins and tokens in higher grade. Buying less, much less than before.

And, also I have been selling a large amount of various coins because of family reasons. My mother had a major heart surgery and I needed to get her in an assisted living so she can be carefully monitored 24/7.
    Since I have been selling over the last few months the better coins went for good money and the
    so so, but nice coins went for below what I paid for them. So this has been a lesson for me in several levels.
  • Reply #2   by bear on 30 May, 2011 16:32
  • Better days are coming,but only for those with the vision, perception and will to

prevail.
  • Reply #3   by AnkurJ on 01 Jun, 2011 17:23
  • When money was tight for me, I continued collecting, but obviously not high end coins. I started a holey dansco 7070 set! Most coins were under $50, some much cheaper. And it was fun at the same time! I have put the set on the back burner for now, but it was a great set to work on when money was tight. I need only a handful of coins at this time.
  • Reply #4   by Billy Kingsley on 03 Jun, 2011 14:07
  • Times are super tough for me right now. To be honest I have really no buisness in this hobby, but I love it too much to quit. Because of lack of finances, I have made only one purchase this year, and it was only $16. I was able to set aside $100 for the coin show coming up locally later this month, but I'm not sure if I'm going to spend it. At least, all of it. I'm going to try to save some of it to use for bills. FWIW, I've been saving for this money since December and decided to repurpose it for this show, meaning I won't be able to get to the Parsippany show at all this year.

Whatever I purchase this coming show will likely be my last new additions of the year, as well.

It's really kind of depressing to think about, and especially to know that no matter how long you (I) collect, you'll never be able to get some things you really want....but totally stopping to collect is even more depressing.

One good thing is, I like cheap stuff. World currency at 50 cents a piece? I'm there! Circulated  buffalo nickels where you can make out the date for a quarter? Yep, that's where I go. I truly do prefer quanitity to quality, regardless of the fact that everyone says it's wrong!  :D
  • Reply #5   by bear on 03 Jun, 2011 14:15
  • No matter what one collects, if it gives you pleasure and helps

to relieve the  stress, then it is worth every penny. It

is cheaper then paying a psychiatrist. :-[
  • Reply #6   by FilthyBroke on 03 Jun, 2011 15:54
  • No matter what one collects, if it gives you pleasure and helps

to relieve the  stress, then it is worth every penny.

...just had to quote this, as it "bears" repeating.    :)

And it almost makes one wonder if you're better off buying lower priced stuff, as it can bring as much pleasure as the high-dollar coins (at least to me).  But I guess that's sort of my collecting theme nowadays anyway, cool stuff that's inexpensive but not commonly found (jetons, elongated pennies, lower priced hammered coins).

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page:
You're not logged in

Navigation