Author Topic: Ike is looking pretty good with some color on him.....:-)  (Read 3676 times)

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Ike is looking pretty good with some color on him.....:-)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
Back in 1976 I was working in lower Manhattan on John St, and on my lunch I was walking along Broadway just off Fulton where there was a coin store and the owner was setting up a street display of brown box Ike's and selling them for $7.00 each. I picked up 10 boxes and never really looked at them till one of the Ike guys on CU started talking about Peg leg Ike's being seen in the old brown box displays.
So I checked mine and realized all ten of my Ike's were nice Peglegs. Not sure if there is a premium or not and don't really care because I am not selling, but I guess I would rather they be peglegs than not.
Sorry for the old pic and the scratched plastic, the coin is clean. Also have no clue were the reverse pic is. :(
Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »

Cool pickup, JRocco...

Hard to tell for sure from photo, but it looks like it might be of the 'Eskimo Boot' variety of peg leg.

http://www.ikegroup.org/PLSURVEY.htm

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:24:38 PM by Larry »
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 07:42:28 AM »
Hey Larry,
Thanks for that link. I love to learn more about the minting process and that was a ton of great/fun info that I really enjoyed reading. And learned something too.  :)
Some coins are just plain "interesting"