Author Topic: What the new PLUS grading by PCGS can offer the collector  (Read 2749 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
What the new PLUS grading by PCGS can offer the collector
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »
In reviewing the new plus grading I have found that there are plus coins and then there are PLUS coins.

If one is very careful and meticulous in differentiating the chaff from the wheat, you can find a coin with all of

the attributes of a gem coin at  a third of the price. I am talking about MS-64+ coins. This opens the collecting field

to the average collector for coins of almost gem quality at an affordable price. some of these coins appear to have

serious potential for upgrade down the road. I would expect that as the pricing for this classification matures, we will see

an expansion in the pricing differential. Of course a complaint that is being hear, is that PCGS is using the plus rather then

giving coins the next higher grade. As we all know, although never admitted to by TPGs, grading does tend to loosen and toughen

over time. Thus , that is the kicker in selecting truly nice MS-64+. Now if such a coin gets a green CAC, that is just the icing on the

cake. An example of such a MS-64+ is to be found on "  Coin Rarities on Line", the coin is the Liberty seated 1850-O Half Dollar.

Don't ask for it, as it is already in my collection. If you carefully look at this coin, it could well have been graded as a 15,000 MS-65

instead of a price around 4700. Take a look and be amazed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:08:50 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: What the new PLUS grading by PCGS can offer the collector
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
I agree with you bear, but at first I didn't like it because my 1944-S Walker MS66 dropped by a substantial amount.
But now that it has been around long enough a balance is beginning to stabilize prices.

The statement in general (depends on the coin) that a + coin will be much more reasonable and btw, some do belong in a higher
graded slab but gives the collector a chance to get into a beautiful coin for a lot less expense.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »
The 1850-o Lib Seated Half I bought and is shown on the Forum is a PCGS  MS-64+ CAC coin.

The Liberty Walking is a PCGS MS-66+ CAC and the 1837 is an original PCGS MS-65.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 10:53:57 PM »
The 1850-o Lib Seated Half I bought and is shown on the Forum is a PCGS  MS-64+ CAC coin.

The Liberty Walking is a PCGS MS-66+ CAC and the 1837 is an original PCGS MS-65.

I would say you did exceptional then. Because they are all excellent examples but that 1850-O Is out of this world nice!

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
The thread now includes the 1918 FH L.S. Quarter in pcgs MS-66+ CAC. The condition of
the coin is of such beauty and such a hammered strike as to almost be an Ultra Full head.
It was added to the same thread as the other three coins. In addition, I have identified 2-3
other coins for purchase over the next week or so.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
I have to say, that although one must still be very selective, the Plus grade of coins, by and large

are of measurable high quality for the particular grade and are quite pleasing in appearance.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »
That is true, if they are hand selected and one has personally seen them in hand....then yes

Offline BROADSTRUCK

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
The thread now includes the 1918 FH L.S. Quarter in pcgs MS-66+ CAC. The condition of
the coin is of such beauty and such a hammered strike as to almost be an Ultra Full head.
It was added to the same thread as the other three coins. In addition, I have identified 2-3
other coins for purchase over the next week or so.

Hi Bear, I'd like to see pics of your 1918-P SLQ if your able to post them here?  [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »
I am computor challanged. I hope someone can transfer the thread by Chumly it is titled "I was walking through the woods"

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:15:33 PM »
I am computor challanged. I hope someone can transfer the thread by Chumly it is titled "I was walking through the woods"

I did bear, its a new thread