Author Topic: My new Estate Collection criteria  (Read 1321 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
My new Estate Collection criteria
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »
Being that I am getting on in years, I thought that in addition to the usual mutual funds and PMs,

I would put my 40 years of experience and knowledge about coins to use for the benefit of my wife and

family. What follows is the criteria I have set for a collection that will be sold after I am gone.

1. Select PCGS coins.

2. If the coins have a CAC, so much the better. However I have seen poor coins get the CAC and
lovely coins fail to get the green bean.

3. Most of the grades will fall between MS-66 and MS-68. In cases like rare type such as the 1837 Reeded
edge half, I will drop down to a MS-65 or even a MS-64+ coin if it is of extraordinary quality.

4. Each coin must have a pleasing balance of color, luster, strike , surface appearance grade, slab and price.
When all of these aspects come together, hopefully, I will have a coin that most collectors can say" Damn, that is
a nice coin"

5 I will be specializing in quarter thru dollar size coins of the 19th thru early 20th century.  I like big coins and silver coins.

6. The collection is not to be sold until 10 years after its formation. It will then be sold by the executor of my estate.

7. First rejection will be offered to the specific dealers that originally sold me the coins.

8. I intend to limit my purchases from what I will refer to as my" Golden Circle of Dealers" These are dealer that I have
sold and bought coins from and whom I have found to be honorable, fair and pleasent to deal with. While there are many fine
dealers for you to select from, these particular dealer deal in coins that I find appealing. These dealers are:

9. It is possible that I will add a commemorative Half Dollar, as well as some representative gold, such as the $10 Indian head.

Laura Sperber-------Legend

Mike Prinz------------Harlan Berk

Dave Warnick-------Coin Rarities on Line

Kathleen & Dan- -  Pinnacle

Ira & Larry Golberg...Auctioneers

There are many ways to collect and many grades to select from, but for me, this collection will be

a significant part of my diversification, based on a subject I seem to know a lot about. In addition, over

the years, I have developed close relationships with these major dealers, that often offer me first call on

new and beautiful material.

Finally, remember, collect whatever gives you pleasure and fits your pocket book. However, over time you will find
that what started out as a pure hobby has turned into a combination of hobby, investment. Always buy a coin that
your instincts tell you will be an easy sell. because it is very high quality for the grade.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:30:16 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: My new Estate Collection criteria
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »
I think you have set great goals and pursuits bear.
To bad they cannot be pedigreed under the name of "bear's den" coins ;D

You are on the right track.

I often wondered what to do with my collection because it is so diverse and lets face it
I will not outlive my boyfriend of 20+ years for the simple fact that I have had a kidney transplant and I am
having chronic rejection. I have not told him this, he would be so worried he would not be of much use to anyone.

But.......I digress, I often wondered which would be the best way of dealing with all the vast variety of coins, shall I just let
him sell it off and take the risk of him being cheated out of a lot of money? So I decided I would sell the majority and keep a few
so he would have some to remember me by. Well that created another problem......he couldn't care less about coins!! :D

He does however like gold. So only after reading your posts bear and see you sell most of what you had and then decide to
set a certain criteria it got me thinking! Hey good idea!! Collect what I like but I will have a twist on my last collection.

I plan to sell everything and put together a small rather high graded gold coin collection. One that he can relate to and will
raise in value over the years if not for the simple reason that gold rises in price.

So, thanks bear for giving me some thoughts about my collection :beat:

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
The collection is coming along quite nicely

. I expect to add some gold and a Commemorative half dollar

to the collection over the next week or two.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
I am considering the following additions to my Estate Collection. As soon as

I have the coins in hand and pay for them, I will ask someone to transfer the

pictures .

$10 Indian Head Gold  1907                      PCGS MS-65 CAC

I have decided that I definitely want some gold in my collection and I have always thought that the $10 Indian
head was one of the most beautiful. Something about the blazing, lustrous no motto field just grabs me and makes
my heart palpitate.

I am also looking among a few high grade commems, but they will have to wait a bit until I resolve which type coins
I will be buying. I do not intend to get all of the type of quarters, halves and dollars, but I will try to obtain most of them.
It is tough to find jaw dropper type coins and when I do, I have to consider the cost which is usually higher then I have
ever flown before. It is fun though. If I knew how much fun, I would have sold my house years ago.

To round out my diversification, after I pick up a few more type coins, I will probably buy 5-10 AGEs as another inflation hedge.
Something about gold makes one realize why it has been popular since man first realized the value and rarity of the yellow iron.

Adding the above to my Vanguard mutual funds and cash in the bank, I will then sit back and await whatever the economy decides
to deliver to the American People.

For those who may be interested, when the escrow company transfers the funds from the sale of my house, I intend to buy

the following funds:

Vanguard Strategy Income Fund  (VASIX) the bulk of my funds will go into this conservative fund which produces about 5% a year.

Vanguardt Extended Market Fund Admiral shares (VEXAX)  I will invest about 25% of the amount invested in the first Fund for a bit of kick.

Vanguard Health Care Fund Admiral shares     (VGHAX)  Being an ex pharmacist, I believe that the aging of America will cause this fund
to do quite well over the medium to long term period. I will invest again 25% of what I place in the first fund also as a kicker.

The Admiral Shares have a lower administrative cost, but you must invest a certain amouunt of money to qualify. Depending on the fund
from 10,000 to 25,000 as a minimum.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:39:56 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:48:19 PM »
I am also looking among a few high grade commems, but they will have to wait a bit until I resolve which type coins
I will be buying.

I would give serious thought to the Lafayette dollar and the Isabella Quarter. These two in high grade, nicely toned with
great eye appeal have always been in demand and in my opinion will continue.

Eventually when this economy comes back and I am finically able, It will be the first ones on my list.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
I have found that in spite of my detailed criteria for the new collection,

It seems to have taken on a life of its own. As time goes by, I am making

changes to the mix of the collection. One change I intend to make, is to add

a number of gold coins to the collection. In addition, I might add a nice Lafayette

Dollar or Monroes If I can find nice MS-64+ or 65+ examples. Also, If I come across

some super DM Proofs with super dooper mirrors and creamy frost on the devices, I

may well expand the collection to include a number of proofs. Of course, I am still

looking for a Barber Half in MS-66+ with an absolutely clean face and no break in

the luster on the devices.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:26:44 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:02:37 PM »
Sounds good bear. You may want to slow down just a bit because you have accumulated a good amount
of beautiful coins and who knows what may become available in the next few weeks.

You may fall in love  with a coin that has yet to become available :)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:19:34 PM »
The set I am building is not intended to be the collection of the century,

it is really intended to be upper quality coins that in 5-10 years will

provide a return in excess of inflation. I really do not need to wait for

the coin of a lifetime because that was never my intention. However, you

did raise a good point about not expending all of ones ammunition too soon.

Perhaps, I should wait, untill I see the whites of their eyes. :angel:

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:20 PM »
The whites of their eyes is always a good thing :D

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
Keep in mind that Ira & Larry goldberg submit everything to CAC. So if its not CAC'd.....
Always buying purdy toners and early US type!