Author Topic: Why a coin collection can now be considered a form of investment  (Read 1725 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
We all start our collections in a modest manner without a thought as to future value. As we go along

and develop our skills and knowledge, we tend to acquire coins of a higher grade and begin to demand

excellence and beauty in the coins we buy. Over time, as we exert more discipline and smarts, we find that our

collection now totals many thousands of dollars. At that point, one must begin to think about the future and the

potential of the coins we own. I know many collectors proudly state that they never sell a coin. But this is usually not

true. You will sell coins to buy a better coin, or you will have a change in taste and want to collect other types of coins,

or a new baby comes and you have to raise some quick cash. The final reason to occasionally sell a coin is to see if you

are buying coins of good quality and at a fair price. If you continually have to sell at a 50% loss, then you should tighten up

your grading skills or find a new dealer to buy from.When you finally reach my age of  72., you begin to think of your family

when you are gone. At that point, you will begin to use all of your knowledge and skills , developed over many years to create a

collection that will accrue value after you are gone in excess of inflation. At least , that is my thinking at this point of my life.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:42:01 AM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Why a coin collection can now be considered a form of investment
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:00:52 AM »
Sheez bear, you left nothing for me to add ;D
Well said....I also don't agree with collectors that say they have never sold a coin from their collection.

If they haven't IMO then they haven't learned or grown as a successful collector.
Or maybe they have bought so unwise that they have to hold on to them ;)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:45:29 AM »
I buy with no consideration for what would happen after I'm gone.  My family could care less about coins, and the collection would probably sit in a box until someone with an interest came along, at which point my wife would probably just give them away. 

I buy because I'm interested in art and history, not for any sort of investment.  And I sell all the time, not sure why, I guess I just like to "try 'em out" and then pass them on.  But it works for me, we have very few shows around here and even less coin shops, so internet shopping is a key for folks like me.  I lose money, I make money, either way I assume my own responsibility for my purchases.

I'm not convinced that we should be buying for future gains, as the people selling aren't going to be as informed or experienced at it, and I don't trust a dealer to work in my best interests.  But that's all beside the point, because I collect for my own enjoyment.  Sounds selfish, but it's my hobby.  The rest of the gang have their own hobbies, and if they sell my stuff when I'm gone, that's their choice.  If I want to leave them financial security, I'd go a completely different route.

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 02:54:25 PM »
I think what bear is trying to say filthbroke is that when you get up there in age, or you are faced to deal with an illness
as a collector you tend to analyze what you have and see if you can make wiser decisions in your purchases
so in the future they can be valuable when left to your loved ones.

Of course you collect what you like but try to purchase them in the highest eye appealing grades that you can.
I don't think there is a tried and true formula for this unless you have many millions of dollars to purchase the best and rarest.

Now, like you said you can always sell your collection or let your loved ones do as they wish and prepare other investment type
ways to take care of them. I think what bear was describing would be a good alternative. He will put together a collection he likes
in the highest, best eye appealing grades he can afford and 10 years after his passing, in which it has had enough time to appreciate further.

Now, that's my take on it bear........unless you meant it in a different way :)
they will then sell it.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:41:19 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound harsh if that's how it reads.  I just think that it's too risky to trust someone else with the sale of your coins, and too burdensome to leave it to your family to deal with.  but that's just me, as I've heard too many stories of people taking advantage in situations like this. 

To each his own, I guess.  I'd personally deal with the sale myself (if possible) and leave the cash to my family to deal with.  In my case though it isn't that big of a deal, as I don't have a huge sum tied up in coins.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
FB, you raise a very cogent number of concerns. My son is executor of my estate
and is fully versed in the type , amount and location of all my assets. As to the
coin collection, he is experienced as to coins, grades and values. In addition as part of my
financial documents is the list of coins, price paid, dealer purchased from, date purchased
as well as the latest price value at the date of my demise. If I did not have such an individual
as my executor, then it would be very difficult to do what I am doing. I suppose that certain
facts on the ground must be in place for my idea to work out to its fullest potential.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 07:10:12 PM »
Now that's a good idea.  My wife and I were just dicussing this senario, and I was telling her how I have receipts stashed around to give her an idea of values.  Leaving a price estimation with someone you konw and trust would be the key to success in this endeavor.  Assuming they can then figure present-day values when the time comes, you should be o.k.

I would hate to think that the sell-off would become a task for someone, though.  Selling can be tricky for someone with little experience. 

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:16:56 PM »
That is why my son is instructed to sell each coin back to the company that sold me the coin. These
are the four companies in my golden circle of trust that I had a long relationship with and who have always
paid the strongest price for the coins that they sold me.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »
I've never sold a coin back to the original seller, but I sure have returned a few to them. ;)  Of course, I've never dealt with CRO or Legend either.  That's too far out of my range. 

Thanks for posting this, bear.  It gives you something to think about. 

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
I have found, that the really fine dealers, try to place quality coins with their repeat customers. That way, they

hope to get a second shot at the coins are sold or traded by the owners. They generally will pay the strongest

prices, because they know how difficult it is, and becoming more difficult, to find quality coins in today's tight

market.My Golden Circle of dealers have always treated me more then fair on both the buy and the sell side,

and I do not expect that type of fine service to disappear.