Author Topic: Why a coin collection can now be considered a form of investment  (Read 1724 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Why a coin collection can now be considered a form of investment
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »
I have found, that the really fine dealers, try to place quality coins with their repeat customers. That way, they

hope to get a second shot at the coins are sold or traded by the owners. They generally will pay the strongest

prices, because they know how difficult it is, and becoming more difficult, to find quality coins in today's tight

market.My Golden Circle of dealers have always treated me more then fair on both the buy and the sell side,

and I do not expect that type of fine service to disappear.

I do generally find this true. I have purchased certain tokens and coins from dealers and they always treat me well and fair.

One bad experience is with a very large dealer in which I have spend thousands, when it came time for me to what to sell back 2 certain
coins/tokens they said they are not dealing in them any longer. Even though when I bought them they said they would take them back
for full purchase.

A month later I see that they were in fact selling these type of coin/tokens and I have not bought from them since.
In my opinion they broke my trust. I still see them at shows and say hello. I still give them free advertising here.
BUT.....I will NOT buy from them again.

No names shall be stated to protect them.......even though I'm not happy with them

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 11:20:17 PM »
To be in my golden circle of dealers, requires that the dealer never lie to me when I ask them their opinion of
a coin. That the price charged is a fair representation of the market value of the particular coin. That they are always
willing to buy back a coin that they have sold me at a fair and strong price.Also I like to deal with people that I find
pleasant and who enjoy working with me as a client. There are many such fine dealers to p[lace in your own circle,
I just have found the 4-5 whow are able to fill my coin needs in the manner I wish and have no need to go outside
the circle. I guess that I am just a creature of habit, but loyalty both ways, seems a very good way to do business
between collector and dealer.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
Rare coins can be considered along with PMs in a spreading out of ones assets,

in view of the inflation yet to come following the present deflation. Properly selected

gems of popular series with a plus grade may well prove their potential value in the

difficult years yet to come.

Offline BBN

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
This kind of thinking got me motivated for the "one coin per year" thread at CU. I am only 40 so I still have plenty of time to build a "wow" collection. Around these parts in deep southern Illinois, there just aren't too many amazing collections. I realize I will never build one of the great collections but I want to build one that is considered a nice collection by average collector standards. In the coming years I hope to own a 1909 S VDB cent in MS65RD or RB, a 1916 SLQ in at least VF30-35 and a nice XF40-45 1916D merc. While these coins wouldn't move me up in any type set standings in the registry, it would be impressive to see these together in one set and would hopefully be something decent left for my wife someday when I'm gone.