Author Topic: Let us talk a bit about CAC Coins and what to expect?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Let us talk a bit about CAC Coins and what to expect?
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »
On an overall bases, I have found that CAC  coins, appear to look nicer then

the average non CAC Coins. Now, having said that, I must add that I have seen many

CAC coins that make me wonder what CAC was thinking that day. Other coins fail to get

the green bean that are so top quality it makes one wonder. Thus, even with CAC coins, one

must be very selective and not rely on a green bean to do your thinking for you. Now, If the coin

meets your own strict standards and you really like the coin, for the grade, then the green

bean is a definite  plus at sale time. All grading is subject to a variance in grade and CAC

is no different.When you are spending your hard earned money, demand nothing but the finest

quality for the grade of coin you wish to purchase. If a coin is a just made it, weak and average coin,

it will never be any better when it is time to sell or trade it in for another coin. Be smart, be selective

and do your own evaluation. Never depend on the slab grade, star, green bean or plus grade. While these

things may indicate the possibility of a quality coin, it is never an absolute sure thing.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Let us talk a bit about CAC Coins and what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:58:19 PM »
 Yes, on the whole if it has a green bean  it is a properly graded or PQ coin
But only your eyes and knowledge can decide if they have made the right decision.

I actually have a few that I have been meaning to send in, but haven't yet.

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:22:07 PM »
There are , and mostly likely will be for sometime, many great coins without the bean on them. Many collectors that hold great coins purely for their pleasure do not feel the need to spend funds for validating a coin again. And then there are many lower tier dealers that also will not utilize CAC, so the lack of the sticker should never take a coin out of consideration.
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:53:01 PM »
What you say is very true, however, I am still hoping and praying that some day

I get the magic GOLDEN BEAN. I am sure, that is what Jack had when he grew the

giant beanstalk and found the goose that laid golden eggs, as well as the magic singing harp.

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »
I have gotten almost my entire collection CAC'd. I have gotten three gold stickers out of them. What I like is talking to John afterwards and learning from him. Its amazing what you see when he points it out that you did not notice at first. It gives you an appreciation of what true quality is. The other thing the CAC sticker says, is that John will buy the coin at fair market value at any time. I think that says a lot. The fact that you technically will always have a buyer for a coin with a CAC sticker.
Always buying purdy toners and early US type!

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:20:04 PM »
I have gotten almost my entire collection CAC'd. I have gotten three gold stickers out of them. What I like is talking to John afterwards and learning from him. Its amazing what you see when he points it out that you did not notice at first. It gives you an appreciation of what true quality is. The other thing the CAC sticker says, is that John will buy the coin at fair market value at any time. I think that says a lot. The fact that you technically will always have a buyer for a coin with a CAC sticker.

I was not aware of that.......I do like that in case I need to sell.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:04:34 PM »
I have to say, when a coin truly deserves it, a CAC sticker is of true value at sale time.

However, you must determine if the CAC is truly deserved. Human beings do in fact

make mistakes, even CAC.