Author Topic: bear's new collection.......eye candy for all to see  (Read 2827 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
bear's new collection.......eye candy for all to see
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:07:37 PM »
The following is the start of bear's new collection. It is off to a magnificent start. More coins to follow.
So stay tuned.

Added today.......1915 PAN-PAC MS 67   PCGS

An old green tag holder Gem and a true to grade example of this classic favorite. Wonderful luster, wholly original white centers with a touch of pale green and framed with light red-orange and a hint of blue-green. Clean devices and fields - a truly nice coin.

Added Today

1884-CC Morgan PCGS MS65 DMPL

1891 Liberty Seated Half NGS MS66 Semi PL

Two more added today.........add what beauties they are :jawdrop

1888 Liberty Seated Quarter  PCGS MS66, beautiful gentle toning and great strike.....wonderful :Beatingheart;

1952 Washington Carver Commemorative Half  NGCMS66 + *    ( a Plus and a STAR) !!!!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:05:49 PM by coinsarefun »

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: bear's new collection.......eye candy for all to see
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:17:46 PM »
Fantastic coins,but that 1837 Half sows envy in my heart.
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »
 :Beatingheart; WOW!!
Always buying purdy toners and early US type!

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:31:23 AM »
The 1850-O HALF IS A pcgs ms-64+  CAC  Coin. It is the absolute finest example of a plus coin
I could find. Instead of a 15,000 dollar price tag, this coin has all of the elements of a gem at a third of the price.
Although TPG services wont admit it, we all know that grading has tightened and loosened over the years. In my opinion,
this coin on a good day could become a full MS-65 Gem. It is a wonderful coin with original skin and color. I got this coin
from Coin Rarities on Line which is one of my Golden Circle of dealers.

The 1916 Walking Liberty Half is magnificent in its originality, strike and luster. It is truly a full on MS-67 coin and will attain that
grade someday on a regrade. The coin is flawless as well as the finest 1916 I have ever seen.Its present grade is PCGS MS-66+ CAC
the coin was purchased from Legend. When I asked Laura , should I buy the coin, she said "It is a no brainer" so buy it I did.For a coin
that is 95 years old, the coin is simply amazing. The original skin is all there and if the coin has ever been dipped, it could not have been
more then once and carefully at that. This coin is as close to original as a coin can come now .The coin is a full strike, full split thumb and finger,
the stems of the flowers are fully split, full skirt lines and full head. Of course, the luster for a 1916 is truly amazing. I do not know how Laura
can bear to sell such coins. If I were a coin dealer, I would go broke, because I would never want to sell the nice coins.

The 1937 Bust Half.. It is a PCGS MS-65  CAC. It is the most beautiful example of this rare type coin that I have ever seen regardless of grade.
It is original, with original color and a strike, sharp enough to shave with. This coin is worthy of a strong price and I paid a strong price for it.
It in fact is the centerpiece of my new collection.  It was purchased from Legend. This coin is an absolute wonder to behold.This is another
coin from the fine folks at Legend. Laura was kind enough to tell me, If I did not buy the coin, I would be a dumb bunny, instead of the smart bear
that I am. She really told me, that this was among the very best she had ever seen and I believed her enough to buy the coin.

When I received the coin and reviewed it, I was amazed to find, that the fields were almost full PL.The underlying luster, beneath the
beautiful toning, exceeds anything that one could tell  from the picture. I have to say, that I have not seen more then 25 -30 Bust halves
in MS-64 thru MS-65, this is the finest , most beautiful bust half I have ever seen. There may be a nicer one out there but I truly doubt it.

1918 FH Standing Liberty Quarter. This is an extremely strong FH approaching very close to Ultra FH. Every aspect of this coin is fully struck
up including all ten toes. While this coin was probably dipped at some time, it was carefully done and most of the original skin is still intact. While
1918 is a very good date for a strong strike,this coin is as fine an example of the type 2 Quarter as I have ever seen. The coin is graded
PCGS MS-66  CAC. In my opinion, this coin will reside in a MS-66+ or a MS-67 holder in the near future.It is a true wonder to behold.The coin was purchased
from Mike Prinz of Harlen J Berk LTD.

1918 Pan Pacific Half Dollar

This coin has suffered terribly at the hands of the non educated , non collecting public. They have been worn, dinged, holed and
dipped, until they have lost all luster. Many have toned ugly colors, that are dull, streaked or splotchy. I was fortunate, in finding this
beautiful example in PCGS MS-67,  from Mike Prinz of Harley Berk Co. It has full, deep luster, beautiful natural toning and is free from the nagging little marks, that plague even high grade examples.

With this particular commemorative, luster seems to be the key that leads to quality.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:09:09 PM by bear »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:06:10 AM »
That's quite a start. American coins may not be my forte, but these are definitely sweet looking specimens. If only all collections could start off this nice. I look forward to seeing more.  :ThumbsUp;

~Daniel
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:07:30 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:37:39 AM »
I like that SLQ, one of my favorite designs, too. :ThumbsUp;
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »
bear added a knock out gorgeous 1915 Pan-Pac :Beatingheart;

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 06:38:07 PM »
It is not often that collectors can review a collection as it is being assemble by an advanced collector.

It is a learning experience, as collectors will get to see the characteristics that advanced collectors

seek in their coins. Many collectors have never seen coins of top quality and thus this will give a graphic

picture of what to look for in quality coins. Of course, not every one will be able to spend the money in

building a collection such as this, but it will probably be a once in a lifetime experience, as we watch the

creation of something beautiful together, as it is happening.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
I added two more coins today to the growing hoard.

1884cc PCGS MS-65 DMPL

1891 Lib Seated Half  NGC- MS-66 Semi PL. I really like this coin and will attempt
to cross it at the same grade first. If for some reason it does not cross, I will
then resubmit,. I am one stubborn so and so.

Both coins are from Pinnacle Coins.I have just about reached ny limit of coins for the time being. However
one never knows what the fuzzy bear night be up to next.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:00:22 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 03:40:26 PM »
bear's collection is growing by the day :smiley-cool05: