Author Topic: The role of Newbies on the Forum  (Read 4317 times)

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: The role of Newbies on the Forum
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
When I started collecting about 5 years ago, I made many mistakes (thankfully none too huge) and posted about them on the PCGS forum. Many times I was blasted for what I did, and took a lot of heat from certain members. One thing I feel EVERYONE must have in this hobby is thick skin. Thick skin to handle dealer attitudes, to handle TPG's not grading their coins, and from being chided by other collectors. Eventually I learned the ropes, but still did not let what others said get to me. To this day, I still get into little tiffs with members like RYK, but I dont let it get to me. I think of it as a learning experience.

It is sad that new collectors have been turned off from posting, or have stopped collecting all together due to the responses they recieved. Words hurt more than we realize. I spoke to one collector who said he no longer posts on the PCGS boards because he was blasted by another regular member there for making a "dumb" purchase. Its a shame really. You never know how much a member can contribute or add to the forum. As I say to everyone, watch what you say. It sure as heck can hurt.
Always buying purdy toners and early US type!

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »
Many senor collectors do not like to talk about it, but we all have learned from such mistakes.

I do believe, that I have made every conceivable mistake and a number of them, several times.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
At least some of us have the honesty to admit we have made mistakes.  Everyone makes mistakes, but if we own up to them we will be better off.

I have and still do make mistakes, and if someone wants to tease me about it, fine.  But those who try to make you feel stupid about it are only fooling themselves.

To me, the 'thick skin' comments they use are so that they can continue to use poor manners or social skills.  We wouldn't treat people like that in person, why should we on a public forum?  Treat others as you would like treated.  Not everyone is like that over there, but there are enough to make it unpleasant.

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
FB, I have always found that those who love to give offense and insulting comment

are often unable to take criticism back, even when such criticism is couched in polite

but forceful manner. These miscreants are really bullies and often cowards. They use

their Forum persona to relieve their own insecurities and hidden anger and frustration.

I never get offended by honest disagreement, Heck, often I even agree with it. What I really

hat is the snakes and pit vipers that lurk in the grass to cause mayhem and harm to

good and decent folks.

Offline BBN

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
Hellllooooo. Newbie here. Not newbie to some of you. Same person/name at CU :)

Oh, and I didn't exactly get off on the right foot at CU 9 years ago. Most people were reasonable. A couple of people attacked me and I just went on a blanket attack on others there, most not deserving. I've actually become quite cordial with those people since that episode and even a good online friendship with a couple. (exchanging regular PMs)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:58:58 PM by BBN »

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
BBN, you will not find any ganging up on this Forum. We have all learned to listen

and learn from even opposing views. We can argue in the most cordial manner, because

we all believe in respect for each person and their opinion. Out of friendly argument, often

comes light, knowledge and truth.  Welcome on board. :)

Offline BBN

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 07:39:25 AM »
 :smiley-cool05:

Thank you bear. It really was one person who didn't care for my approach in collecting and he came off the wrong way and then I acted like a real butt. I should have been more cordial. I'm the one that stoked the flames but instead I got more insolent than he ever did. Others tried to step in and calm the situation and I went on the attack on them too and they didn't deserve it. Looking back, it had been a bad few months for me so I had been stewing on other things for quite some time. Not making excuses, but I was at a point in my life where I didn't care who I angered. I'm much more refined now and VERY much a different person. Oh, and I now agree with the person who called me out on my collecting methods back then.

I didn't know this board existed until I saw your collection posted over there. Mighty fine one you have there my friend! :kneel:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:43:58 AM by BBN »

Offline canadanz

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 08:18:44 AM »
I'm still making way too many mistakes but being a member of forums has definitely helped me a lot.  I'm sure it's shortened my learning curve by at least half.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 12:42:09 PM »
I suppose when I stop making mistakes, I will actually be dead.

But I do try  very hard to control my stupidity.  :'(

Offline BBN

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »
LOL learning is something we all until we die I guess. I could build an amzing collection if I just had the patience. I guess we all could. Everytime I have a few hundred bucks its starts burning a hole in my pocket and I end up settling  on an MS64 widget. If had patience and just purchased one coin per year I could get get one very nice, very high grade, top pop widget or a nicely graded key. I keep thinking how "unfun" that would be and then I think that if I had been doing that for the past 11 years that I've been collecting I would have an amazing set of eleven coins, but alas, it didn't happen. :( I guess I can't change the past but can control my own future collection.  :smiley-cool11:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:29:30 PM by BBN »