Author Topic: The role of Newbies on the Forum  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
Re: The role of Newbies on the Forum
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »
When I joined the PCGS forum, I had been collecting less than a month. I joined on June 1st, 2008. I literally knew nothing- I had never heard of the Red Book, the ANA, I didn't even know what PCGS stood for. I'm truly amazed I havn't "gotten into it" with other members more often...although a part of that may be because I keep my more controversial opinions to myself.

I also tend to think for myself, and not just follow along whatever the popular opinion is.

I think in reality the hobby puts propotionally too much emphasis on YNs- totally neglecting anyone who happens to discover the hobby slightly later in life. I feel there should be something done, some sort of program, or even just a webpage designed to help a new collector who comes into the hobby later, I missed out on being a YN by about a year and a half, as such, I was totally on my own, without that forum and the others I've joined since then, (all of them, including this one, I learned about on there) I would probably still totally be on my own.
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »
<<I also tend to think for myself, and not just follow along whatever the popular opinion is. >>

That's the key, Billy.  :ThumbsUp;

Oh, and I started collecting at about 37 or 38, and I take what info is available over there and try to avoid the drama.  After all, we're really here to share experiences and learn, right?
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 01:56:21 PM »
Yes, that's the way I feel! Take the good, avoid the bad, and overall, try and be as happy as possible!
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 01:21:16 AM »
If that doesn't work, take a 2 X 4 and smack em along  side  the head. ???

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »
Worthy of a bump! Happy(*)

Offline kaz

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »
I think the most important thing for a new collector is to find a mentor, someone with knowledge they are willing to share.  It could be a fellow collector, or a dealer.   The internet allows one to access a number of virtual mentors, but at the expense of the bullies and nay-sayers.  No wonder so many people merely lurk! 

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »
I think the most important thing for a new collector is to find a mentor, someone with knowledge they are willing to share.  It could be a fellow collector, or a dealer.   The internet allows one to access a number of virtual mentors, but at the expense of the bullies and nay-sayers.  No wonder so many people merely lurk! 

Very well said, it's one of the main reason I started this site.
I was tired of seeing the new people being mistreated and in times ridiculed

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »
Collecting coins should be a fun thing. Being on a coin Forum should be a relaxing and

fun filled experience. On this Forum, there is no place for bullies and people who are

legends only in their own mind. :)

Offline kaz

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 08:09:02 AM »
I agree that collecting coins, or anything, for that matter-- should be an enjoyable experience.  However, when one puts up significant sums of money (significant will mean different things to different people)  anxiety inevitably appears.  The numismatic market is so full of predatory individuals that the  chances of being skinned are substantial.  Having been skinned myself to varying degrees on a number of occasions, I would like to see some suggestions posted for new collectors. I'll start with a few ideas, things I wish I had been doing when I started about 3 years ago.
   1)  Find a coin series that captures your imagination, and learn all you can about it.  Use the vast resources of the internet, but also go to shows and look at the actual coins in hand.  Ask friendly dealers for information, look at the examples they have, ask about differences in quality, even with coins with the same numeric grade.  This will expedite learning how to realize which coins are "nice" and which are 'meh' or 'blah.'  In addition, the social interaction (in what is essentially a solitary hobby) provides a necessary dimension to collecting. Buy books. And read them.
    2) Only use discretionary funds to buy coins.  This should be obvious, but it is very easy to find yourself dipping into your emergency reserves, or running up the credit card (especially with Internet buying).  By not going into debt buying coins, or consuming savings, anxiety and regret can largely be avoided.
     3)   Know the limits of your knowledge.  This is very important as one progresses to the "intermediate" levels of collecting, where it is very easy to overestimate one's skill, and
     make regrettable and costly "mis-purchases."    Seeking help from fellow collectors (who know the series you are collecting) and using trustworthy dealers can limit the downside risk here (as Bear has done). 
    4)  Be patient. do not become frustrated if someone outbids you at auction, or snaps up that internet store offering while you are thinking things over. There will always be another coin. Don't buy an inferior example out of frustration.  (example:  I just purchased a very nice 20c. piece in AU, after looking for some months.  I came very close to buying one on Heritage, but held back, and I'm glad I did.) (it will replace the cleaned AU I have, which I would not have bought if I had stuck to the first 3 guidelines above!)

Other ideas for new collectors?

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »
BBN, The most dangerous thing in the world is a coin collector with a

few hundred bucks in their pocket. There is an insatiable urge to spend

it on a coin(s), any coin(s), it does not matter. We are all crazy that way.

However, with time and patience, will often come wisdom and we do finally

learn that quality, in what ever grade one collects is not negotiable. Make a plan,

that suites your pocket and then set a target coin in the grade you want ,

then search for that coin in that grade. Sooner or later you will come a ccross it.

As for buy the coin and not the label, why not buy both of them. A PCGS coin with a CAC

generally indicates that the coin is strong for the grade. Even we advanced collectors

need all the help and assurance that we can get. It is a tough world out there and a little

reassurance is a little more piece of mind, to allow us to sleep at night, a little easier.