Author Topic: Recent ebay pickup: Bronze Pan American Expo Medal  (Read 2457 times)

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Recent ebay pickup: Bronze Pan American Expo Medal
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
From the sellers images, this example looked gem red/brown uncirculated. It arrived yesterday, and is even more amazing in hand!
The surfaces are smooth like satin with no abraisions or marks. And to top it off, it comes with the original box in which it was presented, and very carefully stored for the last 110 years!

The design on this medal is bar far my favorite. I fell in love with this design when I first saw an image of it a few years ago.
Off to PCGS for slabbing!  Happy(*)

AJ

Always buying purdy toners and early US type!

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Recent ebay pickup: Bronze Pan American Expo Medal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
Beautiful  another of my favorite designs, congrat's :party:

Offline Deagle74

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:04:41 AM »
Very nice...the reverse is really cool;)

R.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
Very nice indeed, especially with the box. Good pick up. Thank
you for posting a picture of the medal. I enjoyed seeing it.

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone! Here are my pics:

AJ

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 06:52:01 PM »
That's a cool design, and nice pictures!   Quick question - is PCGS  grading medals now?  I didn't think they did, but I could have missed something. 
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »
That's a cool design, and nice pictures!   Quick question - is PCGS  grading medals now?  I didn't think they did, but I could have missed something.

I think ever since they starting slabbingthe ATB hokey pucks they started
grading the larger medals as long as they are mint made

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »
PCGS Services UpdateFriday, April 22, 2011 7:45 PM

would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support of PCGS. PCGS Collector Club members continue to be a valuable part of our business.

I have a brief update regarding PCGS services and a couple submission form changes.

As most of you know, we introduced a new submission form at the beginning of the year which combined the previous four (!) forms into one. The response to this change has been very positive. Unfortunately, we were not able to produce the new submission forms in time to specifically provide for the new oversized holders that PCGS is now using to encapsulate the America The Beautiful 5 oz. commemorative coins.

We now have a new submission form that addresses the oversized holders. There are a couple of policy changes to accompany that change.

First, ATB coins no longer have to be submitted under the Regular service and can now be submitted under the Modern service (that’s a savings of $16). Of course you can submit the coins at a higher service level if you need a quicker turnaround or simply choose to do so.
Second, PCGS is beginning to encapsulate medals in the new oversized holders. We have already encapsulated certain medals in the oversized holders. We plan to replace the Photo Certificate service that we have previously used for some medals and coins with the Oversized Holder service. If you have questions about a specific coin or medal please contact PCGS Customer Service.
Third, any submission requiring an oversized holder will require the payment of an oversized holder fee of $20 per coin. We are compelled to add this fee due to much higher material costs as well as increased labor costs associated with the handling of these larger coins.
These new services and rates will be effective for all submissions received beginning May 1, 2011.
We are excited about the introduction of the new oversized holders. We believe they offer an attractive package to display your coins and medals and we hope to expand our offerings in this area as we go forward.

On completely different note, PCGS is a strong supporter of the Industry Council for Tangible Assets (ICTA) as are most major coin dealers. ICTA is a national organization whose sole purpose is to advise and assist the coin hobby regarding governmental regulations. ICTA provides extensive ongoing lobbying efforts to help us influence new laws and regulations or changes to existing laws. A recent success has been the repeal of the 1099 law that was to go into effect next year. ICTA worked diligently with various officials in helping to make that happen. ICTA is also very involved in the fight against Chinese counterfeits.

The new PCGS submission form offers you a chance to help support ICTA. In the FEE CALCULATION area you can select to make a contribution of 25¢ per coin on your submission that will be donated directly to ICTA. Your contribution will be included in your total payment. This is completely voluntary, but we encourage you to support ICTA just as we do.

Best wishes,

Don Willis

President, PCGS

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
I do not  have any argument, with anything that DW said in his E-Mail.

It is nice that he is communicating with members. I only wish that he would

communicate with me.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:40:39 PM by bear »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
Thanks for the info, AnkurJ.  I really must be out of the loop. :)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html